Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of rain gear do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm a duck hunter. I swear by Goretex. Wore it through many storms in Northern Michigan...

My "riding" gear is a Gander Mountain Guide Series GoreTex jacket, styled like the 100mph jackets Bass Pro used to sell, and a pair of HD rain bibs I picked up on clearance for $20.

Waterproof boots.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It rains all the time in the UK, for emergencies and trips into Europe where it is normally drier/warmer I have the HD hi vis gear which works. For more home grown winter and wet weather I wear Rukka - it works but costs a fortune, many of the outer London commuter wear it too

Old 03-16-2014, 06:04 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

Certain items that the military has are used and abused. Also I doubt that they supply motorcycle worthy rain gear.

I own HD black and gray Goretex gear and have tested it pretty well in my travels. I'll stick to my original comment.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If your a rider, then you gotta buy them, like others have said size is important, quality is second, don't scrimp. enough said.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:19 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I 've used a few different brands. My favorite is the HD suit. Pricey but in my opinion very user friendly, and great long lasting quality.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:26 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had many types of rain gear, including golf rain suits, Gortex@ rainsuits for rescue guys, rain gear for runners, I've had it all, except for the cheap stuff, I've found the Harley HI-Viz is the best out there on the market.
Harley usually ups the price on their clothing, but in this case it's a great price for the product.
Several of my friends used that cheap *** Frogg Toggs, and both of them melted the legs on their pipes ruined the Frogg Toggs, stay away from that cheap schit, staying warm and dry is important.
I rode from Milwaukee to Indianapolis in the rain all the way once, was soaked from head to toe, and cold, said I'll never be that miserable again, that's when several friends and myself started studying rain gear, believe me I've riden for hours with the Hi-Viz stuff, it works, won't leave home without it!

Last edited by davidw221; 03-16-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidw221
I've had many types of rain gear, including golf rain suits, Gortex@ rainsuits for rescue guys, rain gear for runners, I've had it all, except for the cheap stuff, I've found the Harley HI-Viz is the best out there on the market.
Harley usually ups the price on their clothing, but in this case it's a great price for the product.
Several of my friends used that cheap *** Frogg Toggs, and both of them melted the legs on their pipes ruined the Frogg Toggs, stay away from that cheap schit, staying warm and dry is important.
I rode from Milwaukee to Indianapolis in the rain all the way once, was soaked from head to toe, and cold, said I'll never be that miserable again, that's when several friends and myself started studying rain gear, believe me I've riden for hours with the Hi-Viz stuff, it works, won't leave home without it!
I do have a Frogg Toggs suit and it actually works very well, just not on a Harley with exposed hot pipes and yes I did melt it on a previous Ultra! For riding on my FJR it would be absolutely fine, it is a Harley problem that heat shields in the lower leg are required and their own suit does appear to be the best to solve that issue.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

For a rain suit, I recommend Olympia Moto Sports Horizon Rain Gear. Jacket is $90 pants are $80 msrp. http://olympiamotosports.com/categor...zon-rain-gear/

I'm an ATGATT rider (All The Gear All The Time). My riding jacket is an Olympia Moto Sports Airglide 3. It is a 3 layer functional jacket. the outer jacket is a mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armor. there are 2 liners that can used in combination or individually. One liner is a quilted warmth liner, the other is a waterproof rain liner. Zip in the waterproof liner and the jacket is now a rain jacket. The liners take very little space to pack on the bike when just wearing the mesh jacket.
For pants, I currently have First Gear HT Overpant. Waterproof with armor protection.
Boots, I wore cruiserworks for years with 0 complaints - totally waterproof and look good. I am currently wearing the HD FXRG Boot - totally waterproof and I've spent all day in the rain.
I also have a pair of the HD GoreTex rain pants that have proven to be all they are advertised to be.
There are many options out there, and my experience is, you get what you pay for. if you are a "seldom" rain rider, you can go cheaper and spend a lot of time waiting it out under a bridge. Or, if like me, I wake up in the morning and I need to be 500 miles away by dinner and it's pouring rain - well, I don't want to be under a bridge all day, and I don't want to be wet.. so spend the $

Old 03-16-2014, 07:27 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

One of the few times I'll recommend the Harley gear.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
Certain items that the military has are used and abused.
WHAT??? Can't be true!

Quick Reply: What kind of rain gear do you recommend?