Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of rain gear do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:20 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Frogg Toggs for everyday impromptu rain protection. If I were traveling across country, I would probably opt for something more substantial.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Terryjft
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'd like to first qualify that I ride in the rain often. I ride 40mi each way to work year 'round rain or shine (I do skip snow and ice). I do occasional long trips as well. I average 20k mi a year for the last 10+ years. I'm not bragging, just sayin - I ride in the rain (probably more like many here than the average rider I meet on the street).

I have had sever sets of what used to be the "$100 HD rainsuit" (might be the same as the $120 one now). It worked pretty good, but it didn't last as long as I would have liked with regular use (seams failed after a while, resealing was a pain and didn't work). It sucks to get to work and have some part of me soaked until I dry out.

So, I read LOTS of reviews at MANY sites online and settled on Tourmaster Sentinal jacket and pants. It worked fine for light rains. The first time I got caught in a real downpour, my sides were SOAKED. While the arm pit zippers are the waterproof style, either they or some seam failed. Arrggghhhh!

After looking at the material of most motorcycle rainwear, I decided to abandon that market for the jacket. I decided to get a waterproof jacket from a reputable outdoor equipment company (North Face, Outdoor Research, Lowe, Mountain Hardware etc.). If I could afford Gore-Tex, I would definitely go that route. I ended up with a waterproof-breathable jacket by Outdoor Research on a great sale at Sierra Trading Post. I got a size larger in order to fit over my leather. The jacket is made to fit over a helmet (like a climbing helmet but works for my purposes too). When I got it, I immediately recognized how vastly superior this product is than anything in the motorcycle specific market in the price range.

For pants, I decided to go with 600D textile motorcycle pants like a sport rider might wear that are waterproof. These start around $130 new and there are ones around that price with zip out quilted liners too for cold weather. I ended up getting a used pair of Technic pants on Ebay with quilted liner for less than $50. They are awesome - totally waterproof and good protection as a bonus. They are also warmer than what I was previously using for winter riding.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:39 PM
cohoosier
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a EMS store and found a $350 dollar Mountain Hardware jacket for $125 it's gortex and bombproof has pitzips and leakproof zippers. I picked up a pair of EMS gortex pants for $100 as well so I spent $225 for both but I never have to worry about getting wet and the stuff will last had it for 4 years and no signs or wearing out or waterproofing getting any worse.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:07 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

Hands down, Gore tex. One of the things you do not want to scrimp on.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:32 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I just went rain gear shopping. There are many choices out there. Being in FL, I don't need cold weather rain gear. The thinner the better down here so you don't end up in a sauna in the summer.

I ended up going with the Tour Master Sentinel jacket and pants. I haven't rain tested it yet, but I think it will work well. The quality seems good and it's light enough for summer use. I also wanted something that would pack up pretty small and not take up lots of space.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I recently purchased Nelson Riggs top of the line Hi Viz rain suit. It has many features plus a 2 yr warranty.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
Hands down, Gore tex. One of the things you do not want to scrimp on.
I'll have to say that gortex is the worse material for rain gear made, after 22yrs of wearing the army's gortex I believe it is suppose to be water resistant not water proof. I've spent many nights out in the field and on guard duty soaking wet wondering why the army used that crap!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 PM
sgoharley
Tourer
Received 254 Likes on 84 Posts

I used to wear rain gear but have found FXRG works great and I have never gotten wet

Old 03-15-2014, 10:54 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Harley's Hi-Viz suit works well unless it's hot. Then it sucks. I've gotten used to Aerostich AD-1 pants and some sort of waterproof jacket. It's a FXRG jacket at the moment.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I'll have to say that gortex is the worse material for rain gear made, after 22yrs of wearing the army's gortex I believe it is suppose to be water resistant not water proof. I've spent many nights out in the field and on guard duty soaking wet wondering why the army used that crap!
Since Gore-Tex was invented, I've used it in a variety of garments. Gloves, rain gear, cold weather hunting gear, and boots. I've NEVER had a issue with getting wet as long as they were taken care of. Poke holes in it, it will leak. Bust a seam, it will leak. I'm currently on my 3rd set of boots, but still using all my other gore-tex gear that was bought in the mid '90s. Boots were worn out, but never leaked.

During my time in the service, we didn't have gore-tex garments. We had plastic ponchos (or as we liked to call them, sauna sacks). Might as well not wear anything at all, you were soaking wet from sweating.

Quick Reply: What kind of rain gear do you recommend?