Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sintered brake pads for normal touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sintered brake pads for normal touring

Hey all...

Probably asking this question too late, as I have already ordered my pads...but anyway.

I've heard mixed reviews of 'sintered' brake pads vs. semi-metallic/organic material.

Some say that sintered pads are better 'all around' and are better when running polished rotors (as they don't discolor the polished contact area). Some others say that the sintered pads should only be used in high heat 'race' applications...

Anyone seen (firsthand) the real difference?

I figure they will be fine for 'normal' riding, and the opinions I've been given are just heresay...and based on 'extremes' and/or theory.

Thoughts?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 181 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm running EBC double H sintered pads. No problems they work well on my bike.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Lucky1958
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpman
Hey all...

Probably asking this question too late, as I have already ordered my pads...but anyway.

I've heard mixed reviews of 'sintered' brake pads vs. semi-metallic/organic material.

Some say that sintered pads are better 'all around' and are better when running polished rotors (as they don't discolor the polished contact area). Some others say that the sintered pads should only be used in high heat 'race' applications...

Anyone seen (firsthand) the real difference?

I figure they will be fine for 'normal' riding, and the opinions I've been given are just heresay...and based on 'extremes' and/or theory.

Thoughts?
they work great but create more dust.
as heavy as our bikes are all stops are high heat.
just rinse your wheels off a little more often

Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
I'm running EBC double H sintered pads. No problems they work well on my bike.
This.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

This is what I expected to hear...

I think a lot of people tend to toss out opinions based on nonsense...and not actual experience.

Meh. Anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Few folks use brakes on tourers hard enough to notice/make much difference. 'sintered' pads will wear rotors more and require more pressure when cold than organic pads. They do last longer and work better when hot. I use semi-metallic on the front and organic on the rear.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:29 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

I liked the way the EBC pads worked but the whole time they were on the bike, the brakes made a fluttering or rapid light popping sound similar to a cicada sound. It was relatively low volume while riding and got louder when the brakes were applied. The frequency varied with speed. My theory was that the ventilating holes in the rotor made a popping sound as they went between the two pads. I tried beveling the pads on the entry side and it made no change. The only thing wrong with my theory is that neither factory pads nor Lyndall pads make the noise using the same rotors. I hope yours run quietly.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
I liked the way the EBC pads worked but the whole time they were on the bike, the brakes made a fluttering or rapid light popping sound similar to a cicada sound.

The only thing wrong with my theory is that neither factory pads nor Lyndall pads make the noise using the same rotors. I hope yours run quietly.
actually i think your theory has a lot of merit. i've noticed this 'cicada' sound on stock bikes too.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Huh. Thought mine was unique with that sound. Decided if I was going to nickname it, it would be cidada. Mine started when I replaced the rotors, which I did shortly after replacing the pads. No noise with the new pads on the old rotors (that I recall). Lots of noise with the new rotors, but only when the brakes are applied.

I was able to substantially reduce the cicada noise when I cleaned the caliper pistons and bled the brakes. Some of the pistons were a bit sticky, which pushed the pads unevenly and may have slightly cocked them against the rotor. The bit of air in the calipers may or may not have contributed to the uneven piston pressure.

In any case, getting the pistons to move freely and equally has helped reduce the noise.

The following users liked this post:
JPaull (09-04-2016)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

We don't have cicadas over here in the UK, but I have had some brakes that purr loudly! Brakes used to employ a high asbestos content, which was considered anti-social, so brake manufacturers have come up with various alternatives over the years. I suspect there are many more options than plain sintered and the rest.

As for using brakes, perhaps none of you have climbed the Alps or Vosges Mountains, two up complete with the kitchen sink, but I can assure you that going down the other side puts a serious strain on our brakes - even my floating rotors all round and a total of 16 pistons. Don't even think of touching them.....

Quick Reply: Sintered brake pads for normal touring