Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.. No brake or turn lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help.. No brake or turn lights

2010 U/C, 72k miles.
Among others things, I've installed the HD LED rear tail light and LED rear turn lights, which incorporate the turn signals to now activate when the brake is applied. No "modules" of any kind for this HD equipment needed. These were installed over 3,000 miles ago with no problems.

On a ride yesterday and about 20 miles out notice that my cruise control will not go on. As I pull to the side of of the road, I noticed my turn indicators were not working. Once stopped, I checked and found my brake lights not working.
All other lighting working fine.

Started checking fuses, and all were ok. Eventually found that a wiring harness under the rear fender was too close to the tire and had rubbed against the tire. The harness covering was rubbed through, as were two of the wires. This harness was running into the turn indicator bar. I did a quick fix and taped up the exposed wires, and the harness covering. Again checked all the fuses and all were ok.

Still no brake or tuen indicator lights. I stopped at a dealer a few miles away and replaced the relay that the fuse cover indicated controlled the brake and turn lights. Still no brake of turn lights.

Gonna tear it all apart this morning.
Turning to the forums for any suggestions or ideas..

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

Does the brake light relay "click" when you use either brake control? If not, the problem is before the relay. When you fixed the bare wires, were you careful to reconnect the same wires and not switch them? LEDs are sensitive to polarization, if the juice isn't going in on the correct side, they won't light. I trust everything DID work after the original install. Check your owner's manual carefully and see if any of the "dead" lights are supplied by 2 different fuses. If so, the one you didn't check may be the problem.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:16 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

Btsom...
Yes, the install for the lights was done over 3k miles ago and was working fine. The wires that were rubbing on the tire were not worn all the way thru, so I taped them back together without accidentally switching them.
There is no click from the relay that I changed yesterday when I apply the brakes with the ignition turned on.
I do have another idea that maybe I changed out the wrong relay. The relay I replaced was marked "lighting relay". Maybe I should have replaced the relay marked, " brake relay" ??
Thoughts?

I should add that the rear turn/brakes lights do activate (flash twice) when the bike resets the alarm each time it's turned off. So there is apparently power going to those lights.
Checking the owners manual right after I finish this to see if there's a mention of more than one fuse to these lights.

Last edited by ronbeejer; 03-09-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:47 PM
bigsmos
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem but my brake light stayed on it was the brake switch on the handle bar i somehow broke it when I changed my grips

Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

Fixed...
Almost don't want to say how I fixed it, but I will just say this...
Make sure you inspect the fuses carefully, and that you have your reading glasses on if you need them!