Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with speedo problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
plamb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with speedo problem!

My speedometer is driving me crazy. It reads fine for a while and then will go to zero, back up to some other speed, back to zero, back to actual speed, etc.

I cleaned the metal filings off speed sensor and that seemed to fix the problem. Wrong.
I replaced the speed sensor and checked the wires (which looked fine). That seemed to fix the problem . Wrong.
Today, I replaced the tranny fluid thinking maybe it had a lot of crap suspended in it causing a bad reading. I then drove it about 40 miles (until I got caught in a downpour) and everything seemed fine. After the rain passed, I went another 150 miles and everything was fine...until I got about 1 mile from home and it started again...[:@]

It is a 2001 ultra with 16,000 miles.

I guess I'm going to take everything apart tomorrow and see if I can find a pinched or scarred wire.

After that I guess I have to admit defeat and take it in to the shop...which really hurts my pride.

So, I'm begging for advice before the final step. Please let me know if there is something I'm missing!

Thanks,
Peter

Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Please help with speedo problem!

I had this problem a few years ago on my previous bike (RK) and did the same things you did. I wound up taking it to the dealer. A shorted out ground wire. If you have the service manual for the EG then trace the wires for the speedo. The speedo is part of the MAIN wire harness not the fairing wire harness. You may have a bad ground wire some where. Does your signal lights still cancel out? That is usually a give away of a definate wiring issue, especially since you have replacd the speedo sensor. Does the backlight work in the speedo or is it intermitten also? Definalty sounds like a wiring issue.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced

Have you adjusted your bars lately? Check the fuse just to make sure. My RK did a similar thing but it was because of a pinched wire that tripped the fuse.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

I had a similar problem with an 02 RK. It would only do it if I turned it off using the ignition switch, instead of the engine kill switch on the handlebars. As long as I turned the ignition on first, then the handle bar engine switch on everything was ok. It may relate to a bad ground, but I never got that far as I sold the bike.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Ol Biker
Road Master

I had the same problem w/01 RKC. After much fuss and over a year and a half of unrecorded mileage, it turned out to be a sensor problem. As mentioned above, also effected turn signal cancellation. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,350 Likes on 6,143 Posts

Just watch the road and quit lookin at the damn speedo.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:25 AM
E DOGG
Road Master

I thought your going to talk about swimming!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
plamb
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I'm going to start looking for a bad ground today and see what I can find.

The problem affects the radio volume, turn signal cancellation, and (probably) fuel injection rate. I've not noticed the speedo light going out.

I have noticed the speedo light is on when the ignition is turned to acc (to listen to the radio), but I've always assumed that was normal.

As far as looking for a speedo for swimming, I think (hope) you're in the wrong forum....

Thanks again guys!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 PM
plamb
Advanced

An update just in case someone else has a similar problem with their speedometer:

Cleaning the speed sensor didn't solve the problem, so I bought a new one.
The new speed sensor didn't fix the problem.
Changed tranny fluid just in case it was causing a bad reading due to too much crap in it.
Nope.
Got the reapir manual out and studied the wiring diagrams.
Started tracing wires - found two loose grounds in the fairing and on the frame.
Nice try.[:@]
Checked my voltage regulator - it's working fine.
Checked with some local shops "It has to be the speedometer", they all said.
Checked with a mechanic I trust. "It's the turn signal sensor. It feeds back in to the speedo. Here, take this one off on of my used bikes I have for salebefore you buy one ($250) and see if that solves your problem!"
No.
Made new harness from old speed sensor, and some three strand wire I had, ran wires all the way to the speedometer.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I never did find the break in the wire, but it is a very small gauge and I'm certain it is broken somewhere in the old harness.

I can't believe I've been fooling with this problem since December! Intermittant electrical problems are the worst!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Eglider05
2nd Gear

I can't believe I've been fooling with this problem since December! Intermittant electrical problems are the worst!
Don't feel bad. I've been fighting it for a couple of riding seasons. 2 sensors and a new speedo and I still have the problem. I guess I better start cheking the grounds. Does the speed sensor run directly to the speedo or to the ECM?

Thanks,
Rick

Quick Reply: Please help with speedo problem!