Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Headlight Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to leave the stock trim ring a little loose so you can get the back lip of the Visor trim ring to seat into the groove for the trim ring. Tighten the Visor trim ring with an eyeglass screwdriver until you get the trim ring seated tight enough with no more gap.

Be patient....if you line up the gap of the Visor trim ring with the adjustment screw of the stock ring underneath, you can tighten the stock ring a little more after you get the Visor trim ring closed enough leaving only enough gap to get to the adjustment screw. Once tightened a little more to keep the stock ring from rattling around loose under the Visor trim ring, finish tightening up the Visor ring until the gap is gone.

Works every time. Good luck and be patient.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:50 AM
banjoplayer2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THXS! Great tip! It's the patience thing I fear! Guess that is on me. My trim ring and light will be here this week.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:15 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger That
You have to leave the stock trim ring a little loose so you can get the back lip of the Visor trim ring to seat into the groove for the trim ring. Tighten the Visor trim ring with an eyeglass screwdriver until you get the trim ring seated tight enough with no more gap.

Be patient....if you line up the gap of the Visor trim ring with the adjustment screw of the stock ring underneath, you can tighten the stock ring a little more after you get the Visor trim ring closed enough leaving only enough gap to get to the adjustment screw. Once tightened a little more to keep the stock ring from rattling around loose under the Visor trim ring, finish tightening up the Visor ring until the gap is gone.

Works every time. Good luck and be patient.
X2 on working every time..........Have used that visor styled trim ring on my last three bikes and had no gap.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 AM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll try a few different things and hope I don't lose my patience. As we all know these" easy" mods drive us crazy.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by gartec81
ok so. i had the regular non visor frenched trim.... no gap, took it off and just installed a visor trim ring and it has the dreaded bottom gap... what gives
Harley seems anything but consistent in their quality on the headlight trim rings. I have two, frenched and the non-frenched. The non frenched is longer and leaves no gap (after you work with it for a bit). The frenched ring is a wee bit shorter and does have a gap.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

I have seen all those posts. Tried putting it on, tightening the inner ring, then tighten the outer, might have to by a larger clamp and try that next. Its seem to hard for something so easy. Good luck and I have a gap, there I said it.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

I took the stock ring off and checked, the new visor trim ring is a 1/4" smaller than the stock ring. The gap was not going to go away no matter what method of installation was used. I've had 2 other bikes and never had the problem before. Anyways, I cut a few reliefs in the stock ring to allow it to shrink when the the visor was tightened. No more gap.

Attached Thumbnails Damn Headlight Trim-20140114_131707.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
I took the stock ring off and checked, the new visor trim ring is a 1/4" smaller than the stock ring. The gap was not going to go away no matter what method of installation was used. I've had 2 other bikes and never had the problem before. Anyways, I cut a few reliefs in the stock ring to allow it to shrink when the the visor was tightened. No more gap.
Are you a dentist?? If not, you should be. Lol

That's a great reconstructive surgery option you made work! I guess I've been lucky and haven't gotten a "short" trim ring, frenched...non frenched...visored or whatever. I'm so confused I'm not sure what I have anymore. If that's a '14 you are working with in your sig pic, I don't know.

But I do know I ain't gots no gap!!

But hey, some don't mind the gap at all. Might even say it has a little.........personality!

Last edited by Roger That; 03-09-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
ya wanna know the trick for the simplest, easiest fix?

buy a road glide
Why would you tell the op to buy a HONDA,oops I'm sorry sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between them!!!!!! Lol

Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger That
Are you a dentist?? If not, you should be. Lol

That's a great reconstructive surgery option you made work! I guess I've been lucky and haven't gotten a "short" trim ring, frenched...non frenched...visored or whatever. I'm so confused I'm not sure what I have anymore. If that's a '14 you are working with in your sig pic, I don't know.

But I do know I ain't gots no gap!!

But hey, some don't mind the gap at all. Might even say it has a little.........personality!
It is a 14, it's a shame that it took that much effort to make a part that cost that much fit correctly.

Quick Reply: Damn Headlight Trim