Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:26 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ThunderMax question

So after I have my Andrews 57H cam installed, will it require a dyno or can I have the TM people just remap it. If it is dynoed, does the tech remap it as he does the dyno? This is a bit confusing for me since most of these systems are proprietary. Please excuse my ignorance.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

If you have a Thunder Max you don't need a dyno tune. You need the proper map loaded to the ECM. That's one reason I have a T Max is so I can connect my bike to my laptop and load the map I need myself. That and the fact that I auto tunes to run even better after a few rides. Do you have the software and instructions that came with your T Max? If not, you can download both from their website. Choosing and loading a map is a fairly easy process. The basic instructions will walk you through it.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude426
If you have a Thunder Max you don't need a dyno tune. You need the proper map loaded to the ECM. That's one reason I have a T Max is so I can connect my bike to my laptop and load the map I need myself. That and the fact that I auto tunes to run even better after a few rides. Do you have the software and instructions that came with your T Max? If not, you can download both from their website. Choosing and loading a map is a fairly easy process. The basic instructions will walk you through it.
thank you...thats what I needed.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

If I may, I'm going to take this question a little further.

With a ThunderMax with auto tune can you put the bike on a dyno and custom tune it and benefit?

I've experienced a minor ping while under load and would like to tune this out if possible.....

Old 03-25-2014, 12:34 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
If I may, I'm going to take this question a little further.

With a ThunderMax with auto tune can you put the bike on a dyno and custom tune it and benefit?

I've experienced a minor ping while under load and would like to tune this out if possible.....
Any tune can benefit from a "good" dyno tune. No way you can get every ounce of Hp and Torque from the seat of pants or from AutoTune. You can get close without dyno. I will also say that you can improve the ride ability of some dyno tunes, but usually not the wide open throttle runs. You just don't have the ability to feel 2 or 3 hp or torque difference. Don't know of too many places you can run a bike to 6000 rpms in sixth gear even if it would pull it against the wind, which it won't. 6000 rpms in 6th is 157mph on a touring model. I know some mouths will run that fast, but not a stock block type HD Twin Cam bike. That would be 132 mph in 5th in a six speed.