Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tighten a loose fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 AM
brschmidt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to tighten a loose fuse?

How can I tighten the slot for a fuse? I was troubleshooting my intermittent heatedgrips and it "appears" they start working again after I remove andreinstall the accessory fuse (happened twice) on my 2012 flhtk. I noticed this fuse is very lose fittingcompared to the other fuses and I've tried different fuses. Was goingto start with a pick but thought somebody might have a cleaver way?

Please and thank you

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe try putting a dab of soldier on both ends?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

If you can a small pair of needle nose pliers can be used to squeeze the contact points together, or a small flathead or a pick. You can also slightly twist or bend the prongs on the fuse for a tighter fit.

The following 2 users liked this post by bigheadted:
BelchFire (08-19-2022), Harfar (08-19-2022)
Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 AM
brschmidt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great ideas... back to the garage... you guys rock!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Great idea bigheadted, sounds like a quick and & easy fix

Old 03-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi-perf old poop
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2008 FLHT got very light coat of scale/corrosion on tabs of fuse,hardly visable. Caused loss of power to that circuit. put in new fuses coated tabs with die. grease and never had problem again. Even pulled all fuses on my 2013 FLTRX and coated the fuses.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-perf old poop
My 2008 FLHT got very light coat of scale/corrosion on tabs of fuse,hardly visable. Caused loss of power to that circuit. put in new fuses coated tabs with die. grease and never had problem again. Even pulled all fuses on my 2013 FLTRX and coated the fuses.

That is a pretty good idea right there. A tube of the dielectric grease is handy to have and I use it quite a bit but never thought of that.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
That is a pretty good idea right there. A tube of the dielectric grease is handy to have and I use it quite a bit but never thought of that.
Good fuse holders and connectors feel pretty stiff and offer real spring action when made with proper materials. They also last forever, like WWII army surplus equipment!
Cheaper design fuse holders and contacts are often made of mild brass and tend to loosen then soften as heat builds up between damaged or deformed male-female parts. These must be replaced unless you accept to play Russian_Roulette.

Unfortunately dielectric grease is for corrosion protection of non plated contacts, it's a water repellent and cannot offer a safe and reliable contact. Repositioning contacts and fuses is only a temporary solution. When poor-contact problems arise with fuses, disassemble your fuse holder and replace the incriminated contacts. This is not an expensive repair and will keep you out of trouble.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:04 AM
dsnice
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
If you can a small pair of needle nose pliers can be used to squeeze the contact points together, or a small flathead or a pick. You can also slightly twist or bend the prongs on the fuse for a tighter fit.
Thank You… Solder worked for me. I had the same issue with a used truck I bought. The previous owner put the wrong style fuse in and the connection was not solid. I tried bending the prongs, aluminum foil, copper wire but this was what worked. I searched the internet and found you. Thank you again

Old 08-19-2022, 11:50 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 664 Likes on 340 Posts

All of the above and definitely go with Dielectric grease a dab on both terminals