Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I had the ash tray and gave it away.... too embarrassed to sell it.

Not worth a hoot, IMHO.
From my experience, the between the fork ash tray deflector offered the most bang for the buck of any of my buffeting/wind suppression mods. Well worth the $25 and five minute install. It made a difference on my UC.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

I am 6' tall and found the fork deflectors (fangs) worked best for me on my Electra Glide Classic. They probably cut the buffeting down by 95% or more. Some think they are ugly, but I though the newer curved models look good with a bit of a nostalgic look.

I started with the soft lowers and they did nothing for buffeting behind the wind shield. The soft lowers are still worth every penny and are always in my bags. They indispensable when riding in the rain and cold weather keeping the water and cold wind off my arthritic knees.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
From my experience, the between the fork ash tray deflector offered the most bang for the buck of any of my buffeting/wind suppression mods. Well worth the $25 and five minute install. It made a difference on my UC.
Changed the airflow over the tank behind the 'wing big time.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 PM
2002FLSTCI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the fangs and soft lowers on my Heritage and loved them in the winter. Once it warmed up the lowers came off. I now have an Ultra. I put the ashtray on and it made a huge difference. I am now looking at getting fangs. If they work on the Ultra as well as the Heritage, I will be set.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't see calling the ashtray ugly, I hardly even notice mine....

Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Ride your bike at 70 mph.

Put your arm across your chest, and see if the buffeting is reduced.

If it does, that means the buffeting is caused by wind coming up from under and around your tank.

If this is the case, buy and install fork fangs. Takes 5 minutes. Should do the trick for you.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,811 Likes on 19,319 Posts

The Soft Lowers can/will cause excessive engine temperatures if used in moderate to warm temperatures. The Air Baffle does help some ( I've got it on both my dressers ) I do have the "fangs" on my 1992 FLHTCU and they do help but they will contact the lowers on a tight turn ( never caused any damage ) I believe that there is a new design now for the fangs that clears the lowers.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM
jphii
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get a chance to get either before I left. I rode 718 miles yesterday from NC to Tampa. It was about 45 when I left, and 77 when I got here, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think I'm going to pick up a set of the fangs before I head back, just to see what kind if difference they'll make. I think having good riding gear makes a bigger difference.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM
FASTART
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the ash tray and the fork deflectors , noticed almost all of the buffeting was gone but didnt like the look of the deflectors , I cut 5 1/2 inches off the bottom of the deflectors and powder coated black , still work as good but can hardly notice them
Art

Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
They deflect wind in different areas, there is no real comparison.
Having run both and since you are leaving soon I would do soft lowers. The fork deflectors only take a few minutes to install so you could do both of them.
I agree, it depends what you are trying to fix. If it's cold air on the legs, then soft lowers. If it is the buffeting wind, then the fork deflectors. The triple tree deflector is OK, but doesn't work nearly as well as the fork deflectors.

Beary

Quick Reply: Wind deflectors