Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes what size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
Whatever size you think you want, add 2 inches. I thought I wanted 14's and that's what I got. I regret not going with 16's.
That statement is very true. I'm 6' , I went with 14" fat khrmewerks bars,almost perfect .I'm gonna install FLD risers to bring them up and back.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,974 Likes on 11,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
^^THIS^^

I went with some WW 10" mini apes, and now I think that the above is a very true statement!
I didn't want to pay for new cables, and kind of shot myself in the foot. My bars are nice, but just not right...

Also, I wish I had put an extra 6" in the wiring when I extended them.
It wouldn't have been ANY extra work at all, and would have saved me from doing it all over again if I just had thought ahead!! ARGHHHHHHH

Now, to go higher, I'm basically starting from scratch again.
I just thought I'd never do the job again, man was I wrong!!
Ya only want to do this once do it right the first time, right ??
Glad I took my time and thoroughly searched and asked questions
before going through this process.....

Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 5-10 and ride an 09 electra glide classic. Just ordered my Yaffe 10 inch apes. Didn't want to go to high. Been on an electra glide with 14 inch bars and didn't really like them. Hope I made the right chose. Tried holding my arms at different heights and always came back to 10 to 11 inch.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My bike has 14"s on 3 1/2" risers and it's pretty good. I bought my bike with them but when I was shopping around I thought that 10" were the max without changing cables. I think stock heritage bars fit too.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6 ft on an 09 ultra classic and the yafees 10's were perfect for me. Don't get caught up in the bigger is better thing. All I wanted was something a little higher and a little farther back. 10's for me! Didn't have to replace anything... But did have to reroute the clutch cable. I also tried to run the wires inside the bars....NO WAY with that little square connector on the throttle side. You might do better but my ultra had 16 wires that had to go,and they would have except I didn't want to soldier wires on that throttle connector to remove it.

Last edited by Hogster 1; 03-07-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks bagger bars. stock wiring, new SE tbw stock cluth and brake. little rerouting of clutch cable. youll loose SG mirrors.Apes what size?-newbars14.jpg

Apes what size?-cam00015.jpg

Apes what size?-cam00016.jpg

Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
RollieB
Cruiser

I decided 14" bars were what I wanted,but the closest height in the style I wanted was 15" with a pretty wide spread of 39".I was concerned about them until they were on my bike.The only thing I would change is that I would've gone taller by a couple of inches.In my mind the money spent on the +cables/wires was worth every penny.Also,I read a lot about swapping bars on fairing bikes and wasn't looking forward to it what with all the complaining about what a pain it is....It really isn't that bad at all!The worst part was pulling the wires through the bars,which is done on any bar change.
Anyhow,I wouldn't base my decision on height by what I could get away with with stock cable/wires.Save up if needed and get what is going to be the most comfortable to ride with!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

6'2" here and had 14" burly narrows on my night train. I knew with my streetglide I wanted 16"s from the start. Ask around and do research. Many bars measure differently for some reason. As a example here is a pic of me on my 07 with 16" cyclesmiths

Attached Thumbnails Apes what size?-002.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 PM
sgriffin
Intermediate

went with the Yaffe 12" monkey bars. This was a plug and play kit from Hill County Customs. Everything was great, everything was as advertised on website. 12" puts my hands just above the fairing on my street glide. I was torn between the 10" and 12" and after talking with several peaople, I decided on the 12" and damn glad I did. I'm 6' and the fit is perfect. Even dealer that installed the bars advised me that they were the first bars that he had installed that he really liked the feal. Great look and cant be happier with HCC service and knowledge.

Attached Thumbnails Apes what size?-image-1-.jpg   Apes what size?-image-6-.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:47 PM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, you have been truly brilliant with your views, I think I will sit on the bike and get a idea
Of what sort of height I require. I like those Paul Yaffe bars which would go well on my RK.
I'm 5ft 10" and feel that 10" would suit but maybe wrong.
Also I will be doing this in my shed so not worried about hoses cables etc but it does add up in the fund area!
I've got some high bars on there at the moment but all though comfy does not look as good, need some cred or the bike does I should say. Love those apes!

Quick Reply: Apes what size?