Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 RK, stock mufflers, and no cat equals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '14 RK, stock mufflers, and no cat equals?

I'm thinking I want the cat gone from my RK but I'm not looking for a huge increase in sound level.
From what I read the stock mufflers on my bike are not particularly restrictive, much of it is due to the cat?
So if I were to remove the cat and go with stock mufflers, hi flo filter, some form of tuner what am I likely to see in terms of performance increase and particularly sound increase?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

I removed my cat and the sound was better but not good enough so I cut out my baffles. Now it sounds about right for $0. Good luck and don't be afraid of some of the banter. I did it on my new bike last year.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Actually the CAT isn't very restrictive but it does break down the sound waves allowing the mufflers to be less restrictive, so modern 2-1-2 CAT bikes actually have a less restrictive stock exhaust than earlier bikes. '14s also have a less restrictive air cleaner, so overall stage 1 power gains on 14s will be less with a stage 1 than even 13s. That said ya will still gain 5-7% with a proper tune. Sound will increase some removing the cat or putting a proper non-cat header on, but I have never heard about anyone who though it was too loud or even objectionable?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where I came to question the noise level was some exhaust manufacturers sites are pretty explicit that running their muffler on a bike with the cat removed will result in 'substantially increased sound levels' which of course doesn't tell you a whole lot. Even the local HD shop foreman, who I've known a long time suggested that it would be wise to be careful on muffler choice if you don't want it loud.
What I mainly want is to not have a lot of engine heat from the cat and just have the bike running at ideal air/fuel mix. I can deal with a little louder, for example I have V&H slip ons on my Dyna with the 'quiet baffle' and consider that 'reasonable' but I wouldn't want to go louder than that.
Its sort of bewildering, sometimes I think life was simpler when I just got a Mikuni pumper carb, slip ons and a SE air filter for the Dyna.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

How could the stock mufflers not be restrictive? There's only a few little holes to let the exhaust pass through. Seems pretty restrictive compared to even a 1.75" straight through baffle.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Taking the cats off a 103 only makes the pipes slightly louder, lower and more mellow. Covers up some of the tappet noise too.

Still is on the quiet side for most riders who will then put on aftermarket slip on's for even more noise.

If you want an even little bit louder, deeper and mellower you can always snap on a set of Vied's. Will make your bike sound better, but not loud. Will also give you extra fuel so the bike runs cooler, quieter, and has better throttle control.

Bargain Stage one is now cat removal, air cleaner and Vieds. Serious bang for the buck.
Ridability and enjoyment are much better.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did what your talking about it will reduce heat some and make it a little louder but not anywhere near as loud as most aftermarket slip-ons.I don't think it makes enough of a difference over all to start messing with a tuner unless you want to.Depending on what you spend for a de-catted header or doing it your self for next to nothing it can be a really cost effective mod.A stock de-catted header is very close performance wise to some of the best 2 into 1 into 2 headers out there.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 980 Posts

I rode my 2012 with stock mufflers and no cat for a while. It was a little louder, very pleasing actually, but definitely not what people expect a harley to sound like. Getting rid of the heat from the cat was the real benefit, and that made a big difference! Joe

Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to a Fuel Moto catless head pipe on my '10 Ultra, and I noticed the sound level went up. I wouldn't call it dramatic, but it was a definite change. I would imagine mufflers from an 08 or earlier would keep the sound down on a catless bike. I did change to a set of take off CVO mufflers from a '13 Road King, it tones it down a little, makes it deeper as opposed to barky. Other than the mufflers and the head pipe the engine is a stock 96, never even had stage one added.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM
ttwayno
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little more clarification

So, I know this thread is old, but it's interesting. I have a Road King (2014) 103. I've replaced the stock mufflers with Screamin' Eagle Slip-On's. I LOVE the sound! For performance purposes, am I understanding correctly that I can remove the cat(s) without requiring any further parts and/or adjustments? I'm not familiar with the pipe configuration so I'm also assuming that no "filler pipe" is required when removing the cats. Am I on the right track, or waaaaayyyy off?

Thanks

Quick Reply: '14 RK, stock mufflers, and no cat equals?