Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014 | 11:33 AM
97FXSTC13
|
Novice

Based on comparisons from Craigslist, the price seems to be right in line with what comparable bikes are going for in my area. Anything newer or with less miles is considerably more. Older models without the extras are going for a little less, but not much until you get much older. Maybe a steal will pop up from time to time, but overall, it seems pretty competitive. Compared to dealership prices, its also pretty good, as in it's less than any dealership pricing for a comparable model. The only place I've found where the price seems too high is when comparing it to eBay. That's a tough comparison in my mind as I can't actually see or inspect the bike, and when you factor in freight to get it, that adds a bit to the total.

The Stage II kit is an added bonus, as it could save a lot from upgrading to a 103" no matter how I look at it, or it could be sold to recoup some of the cost.

Old 03-06-2014 | 11:35 AM
97FXSTC13
|
Novice

Originally Posted by usmc97hd
Way to high on his price. I bought my 09 last November with 37K on it for $10,300!
That sounds like a pretty awesome deal. Looking on eBay and nationwide listings, I've noticed TX seems to have some of the best used prices I've seen.

Old 03-06-2014 | 11:37 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 97FXSTC13
Based on comparisons from Craigslist, the price seems to be right in line with what comparable bikes are going for in my area. Anything newer or with less miles is considerably more. Older models without the extras are going for a little less, but not much until you get much older. Maybe a steal will pop up from time to time, but overall, it seems pretty competitive. Compared to dealership prices, its also pretty good, as in it's less than any dealership pricing for a comparable model. The only place I've found where the price seems too high is when comparing it to eBay. That's a tough comparison in my mind as I can't actually see or inspect the bike, and when you factor in freight to get it, that adds a bit to the total.

The Stage II kit is an added bonus, as it could save a lot from upgrading to a 103" no matter how I look at it, or it could be sold to recoup some of the cost.
Sounds like you want the bike, you should buy it then.

Old 03-06-2014 | 11:44 AM
jamess71
Road Captain

I got my 2006 EGC last year with about 40k on the clock. I was real leery about the miles too. After having it for a year and putting another 10k on it I would ride it anywhere.

Old 03-06-2014 | 11:55 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

the asking price and what they actually sell for are usually a good bit apart. i would look for at least an '09(new frame and bigger rear tire) for that kind of money. i personally would not buy a bike with that many miles on it. JMO

Old 03-06-2014 | 12:21 PM
97FXSTC13
|
Novice

Originally Posted by jamess71
I got my 2006 EGC last year with about 40k on the clock. I was real leery about the miles too. After having it for a year and putting another 10k on it I would ride it anywhere.
So as someone with a very similar bike and miles, what do you think of the price he's asking? 13k too much? I'm far from sold on it, but I don't have nearly as much experience with touring bikes as other models, so I figured I'd ask some of you for your opinions. What I've relayed about the bike is about as much as I know about it myself. Haven't seen it in person yet. In my mind, it has everything that I'm looking for, but the mileage is higher than I was hoping for.

Old 03-06-2014 | 12:31 PM
EC Rider
Cruiser

Anything less than a million miles is ok!

http://millionmilemotorcycle.com/Mil...e/Welcome.html

I've ridden with Dave a few times. He is a bit eccentric to say the least! He almost died in a bike wreck in Florida a few years ago. He rides a Trike now and has almost 200,000 miles on it already!

Old 03-06-2014 | 12:54 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

Figure out what trade in value is for it. Then offer a bit more. Remember, dealers give you NOTHING for upgraded exhaust, tuners, chrome, etc. Private sale is always less than dealer prices. And remember you are talking about dealer ASKING price. They start high so you think you're getting a deal when they drop the price a bit. He is going to have a pretty hard time selling that bike at that price with the mileage. I've heard it said that bike mileage is like 3 times what car mileage is. In other words, buying a bike with 50k is like buying a car with 150k. Would you buy a car with 150k miles? In my area of Florida there are tons of baggers with low miles for that money...just my dos pesos.

Old 03-07-2014 | 04:46 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

I bought my 05 with 4,880 miles for $12.9K

Old 03-08-2014 | 07:56 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member

My '09 is just under 90k miles, I don't consider it excessive, but I know the maintenance history.

Quick Reply: How many miles is too many?