Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax for black bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Hedgehog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax for black bike ?

I've never owned a black vehicle before and now with the delivery of my black 2014 ultra, I am looking for some advice on waxes for lack paint. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mothers or Meguiars are both good in carnuba paste wax & use a micro fiber sponge for application & micro fiber towel for removal.

Last edited by TWIN CAM 96; 03-05-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
harfooz
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My bike's not black, but it shows dirt/dust pretty quickly. I've gone to washing it only if it gets muddy. These days I'm using microfiber cloths from Sam's Club, Lucas Slick Mist or Meguiar's detail spray. Every few months, I'll put on a coat of Meguiar's NXT wax.

I've switched to doing the same kind of thing on my dark red pearl Ram. Little "washing" but regular detail spray with mf cloth.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have intentions of running the bike solo, pay very close attention to the seat and the communication harness. They will both rub the rear fender (to the point of through the clearcoat/paint/primer.)

Congrats on the new ride!

Beav

Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM
rivermusic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the results I've gotten with Zaino's on my 13 black Limited.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rivermusic
Zaino's
Zaino's
Zaino's
Zaino's
Zaino's
Best stuff around!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM
northeimcustom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have also heard good things about zainos, however, i am a mcguairs guy. love it. they make stuff just for black paint to give it that deep look. the nxt is a synthetic or hybred which is a sealant and is supposed to last longer than the carnuba wax. lots of options out there.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I've owned 4 black bikes, tried a bunch of products, now stick with Turtle Wax "Black Box" system.

It's a 4 step process, but I can do my Street Glide in 20 minutes total, and the paint cleaner and wax are both black, it really gets rid of the "spider webbing" and "swirls", leaving the surface VERY smooth, and completely glossy with no polishing marks whatsoever.

Wear surgical gloves when using it, it stains your hands pretty badly if you don't.

I got my kit at Wal-Mart, and order refills on amazon. You'll use the "Spray Detailer " more than what they put in the kit. The Spray Detailer is real good for in-between wipe downs, fills in any swirl marks pretty well without doing the whole 4 step process.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

The turtle wax "Black Box" is amazing! It brought my 2010 back to an almost new shine, easy to remove as well. Also use it on the wife's 2013 Cadillac SRX and it makes the black look liquid!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by harfooz
My bike's not black, but it shows dirt/dust pretty quickly. I've gone to washing it only if it gets muddy. These days I'm using microfiber cloths from Sam's Club, Lucas Slick Mist or Meguiar's detail spray. Every few months, I'll put on a coat of Meguiar's NXT wax.

I've switched to doing the same kind of thing on my dark red pearl Ram. Little "washing" but regular detail spray with mf cloth.
Like Harfooz, I have primarily used Meguiar's NXT and the Detailing Spray for most of my bikes and definitely on Black. Last week I put on a coat of Royal Blue (cleaner and carnuba mix) that we picked up at the International Show in Minnie and I was VERY impressed. It leaves a nice deep, lustrous shine and apparently will take out swirl marks as well. A buddy of mine is showing his bike at the upcoming Donnie Smith Show in St. Paul so I plan to ask some of the entrants what they go with. An old biker in Toronto once told me that he only used S100 wax and that also does a very good job. Just remember with Black......it's a never ending process!!

Lobo

Quick Reply: Wax for black bike ?