Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I rubbed the Snake oil on and drank the koolaid !

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default I rubbed the Snake oil on and drank the koolaid !

About 3 weeks ago I succumbed to cry of the harker and ordered up some Pulstar plugs. Curiosity got the best of me, I am a Leo the Lion so who woulda guessed.?

Anyhow they look neato, installed easy and the bike fired right up.

I have nothing but my butt dyno to rely on and my feeble recollections but I SWEAR this bike of mine starts up easier and quicker, it has always fired up but seemed to take a couple revolutions and now it just lights right up. This is a notable difference.

After 3 tanks of fuel I seem to have picked up MPG but only a coupe hundred mile road trip will tell for sure as most of the riding has been back roads. However we ran 13o miles and we ran hard down the freeway playing and zooming to 90-100 more than a few times.I would normally get less than 30 MPG flogging like this but this time I got 33. Did I flog it less than normal, was it the cooler air? did I get better gas at Shell? does the new fresh oil make a difference? more air in tires ? less rolling resistance with the 18" front vs. the 16" ? I dunno.

My butt dyno is telling me it runs a little better, crisper, quicker throttle response and it sounds good. Maybe I am imagining this ? justifying in my mind the 35 buck spark plugs !?

My riding buddy has a similar year bike and he is way lighter than me, he always seemed to just pull me but now he does not, he even commented and asked what I did to my bike because he can't pull me anymore ! It could be that I switched mufflers back to Supertrapps from stock 08's but I ran the trapps before and he has always pulled me. Not much but his scoot has always been faster.

So if I got taken by snake oil and drank the preacher man's koolaid I like it. !

Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

A member of these forums was banned for posting a true test of these plugs. Which showed no improvement over regular plugs. Sponsor money is more important than truth. Surprised?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
...it has always fired up but seemed to take a couple revolutions and now it just lights right up....
the bike should take a few revs before starting...the motor needs to build some momentum before the compression releases close and the spark fires.

You said you rubbed the snake oil on?
you are supposed to drink it...and rub the kool aid on

Keep some records on your fuel consumption- see what the trend is over time.

sidebar:
About 15 years ago a bike mag I subscribed to had a big cover story on a sparkplug wire which they claimed boosted power by 15%.
they barely mentioned that the before dyno was on a clapped out bike with 15 year old plugs, wires etc. which were worn out
and they attributed the after dyno results (15% gain!) to the magic plug wires...when just replacing the crap wires and adding new plugs would have restored the lost power....
I cancelled my subscription.

some of these magic products end up with Slick 50...

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-05-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

smilling?

smelling?

huh?

oh, Smiling ... I get it!

mike

Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

OK, a fair unbiased test subject is needed.
In order for me to take on this task I cannot shell out the $35 or so as that would/could bias the report. So, someone, anyone send me a free pair of plugs so I can check this out and I promise to exclaim how good they are, or bad?
let me know how you want the report to read.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
smilling?

smelling?

huh?

oh, Smiling ... I get it!

mike
Anyone expecting "the most" or "the best" from a transaction is easily deceived. I simply sand blasted and gapped my plugs when in doubt but today I see no need for this.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:09 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

The difference one feels in changing plugs is subjective. Me an a buddy were at a ralley and the blue lightning folks were there. We both bought a set, I still believe they make a difference. I also noticed a faster start up, and a little more zip. I changed mine out from fairly new Iradium plugs. My buddy, thought his bike ran worse and took them back to the seller. They took them back under there guaranty.

My guess is they really didn't make much difference, most likely because I was happy and he had buyers remorse. It's probably all psychological, but I am still running the same plugs 2 years later.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 03-05-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I've always just used the oem 6R12's.
They're about 3 bucks a piece and I change them out once a year.
Any difference between these and $35 plugs I suspect is negligible.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

i have to wonder if the internal resistance in these plugs is within the range that the ecm will recognize so the knock sensor can operate properly?

Quick Reply: I rubbed the Snake oil on and drank the koolaid !