Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I rubbed the Snake oil on and drank the koolaid !

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i have to wonder if the internal resistance in these plugs is within the range that the ecm will recognize so the knock sensor can operate properly?
Measurement of residual ionization is surely a brilliant feature assuming the resistive value of the plug is within range of compensation, but proper cooling of the central electrode relies on its mass/construction and the ECM would have to adapt the amount of injected fuel to correct/cool an eventual overheating of a 'warm' electrode (to stop self-ignition).
If by design this is a cold plug, it can not ignite as well as a warm plug when needed unless a prolonged or forced series of sparks are produced. Once ignition occurred sparks can continue to be delivered until the next exhaust cycle without any effect, like on the Ford "T" ignition/vibrator coil

I had one of these coils when I was a kid!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

been running car plugs in my 04 for years. Bike runs strong and no issues. 150K in miles and counting....

see cross reference here. I think they are around $1.50 at any auto parts store.

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...park-plug.html

Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I've always just used the oem 6R12's.
They're about 3 bucks a piece and I change them out once a year.
Any difference between these and $35 plugs I suspect is negligible.
+1
Stock style plugs last a lot longer too. I got a bucket of year old stock plugs and they are all still good.
Iridium type plugs have proven to give a "boost" in performance but the electrodes just don't last and they will fail long before stock style plugs.
In my opinion, risking failure on a long trip is not worth all that money but some (a lot of) people are obsessed with any power boost they can achieve. It's all good

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i have to wonder if the internal resistance in these plugs is within the range that the ecm will recognize so the knock sensor can operate properly?
Funny you said this as it had a little spark knock under load at lower rpm's. I just would downshift but I do not notice any spark knock now. hmmm?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

A while back I bought some super duper flash-o- matic spark plugs, then changed my oil, then filled the tank with high test gas. I was chasing down Hyabusa's with just those simple changes. The horsepower and torque gained was unbelievable. It felt like I had a new bike!. Then the alarm went off and I realised it all was in my head.,,

Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

I usually do not **** away my hard earned $ but for some reason just had to try these.

The plugs before were stockers with low miles on them and looked perfect. I have never had any issues with the HD plugs before.

Hack away at me all you want to, it is funny.

I knew there was a lot of controversy with these plugs or any different item or idea. I also ran Splitfire plugs in my fleet of S-10 pickups years ago and overall picked up a 2mpg average improvement. Spread that over a couple hundred thousand miles per year. I used to have the records but that was in the early 90's.
Nobody can convince me that those did not work, I even switched back to the stock ones for a couple months and put the Splitfires back because MPG dropped.

Beads in your tires !!! Goop in your tires !! No way you need to have ugly weights and have them balanced the way they have always done it, that stuff will wear out your tires from the inside or cause your wheels to rot.

Nitrous oxide? sprayed in the intake ?? haha.

I am sure the list can go on and on.

Too bad someone got banned for posting some Dyno results, it would have been neat to see them. I am usually pretty open minded to read and learn new things and on occasion to try them out BEFORE having a opinion on them.

I plan on pulling them once I take a couple tankful ride on one of favorite loops this spring, then swap back to OEM and do the same ride and direct compare the results. But for now I seem to notice and feel a little difference.

The pair was around 35 dollars.

I am not attempting to generate sales or anything, I just read all the controversy and widely varied opinions posted and finally decided to try them. I knew there would be a "witch burning" if I posted my own experience with them. I am not trying to convince anyone to try them, simply posting what happened with me and my bike. If they ran like crap I would have tried to post a fair and unbiased report and sent them back.

I wonder how many middle aged limp wiener erectile dysfunction sufferers have tried some kind of magic cream, supplement , pill or bought a mighty vac with a tube for your limp noodle issue that are not doctor approved, endorsed by the stodgy medical "profession" or accepted way of thinking? Bet there are thousands that have tried some out of the box thinking on that one. Post up your results here hahahaha

Enjoy the crummy weather reading !! Think I will go make a batch of green Kool-Aid and wait for the rains to stop to ride my better running bike. YAHOOOOO !!!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,908 Likes on 19,367 Posts

I had a buddy who always used /tried the latest and greatest gadgets, gizmos and contraptions that would give him more power, more fuel economy and more whatever ... After listening to his "positive" responses to whatever he had done last ( always the "new and improved" worked ) I questioned him as to how he drained the excess gas that his scooter had to have been storing because every new trick got him better mileage and more power ... Just my .02 cents worth :>)

Old 03-05-2014, 12:55 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

I posted very similar results to the ones I installed back last summer. There is a difference in the way my bike performs with these plugs. I have about 2500 miles or so on them so we will see what the results are this summer.
come to think of it I have wasted $36.00 on far worse things.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Hack away at me all you want to, it is funny.
hey brother, it's your money, you can do what you want. i'm not gonna bash on you for it. i was just curious about the knock sensor. it is dependant on the resistance in the spark plug. is the resistance between the 2 different? what is the acceptable working range? who knows?

if you like the way they run, great for you. i'll just stick with the stockers myself.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Skratch what colors are those on your bike ? It looks great

Quick Reply: I rubbed the Snake oil on and drank the koolaid !