Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready to throw the bars across the kitchen!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I used string as well. I hooked up a vacuum to the bar end and sucked the string through. You will nee to block any other holes in the bars to get enough suction to set it through. I used good ole electrical tape to plug up the other holes.

like someone else said, tie off the wires to the string in multiple locations. - Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

cut the green plug out...it will give you bags of more room.

Using a braided sleeve over all the wires makes pulling a breeze ...this stuff compresses tighter the more you pull it.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When did my LA choppers prime apes i had to remove the TBW connector and hard wire it to get it to pass through the bar. Then i used heat shrink on the entire harness. Then using mechanics wire and lube i pulled the wires through. You will have to pull and push to try to work it around the bends. My hang up was the TBW connector. If you not feeling patient or in the mood, walk away.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:43 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I used thin wire for my fish line....I started to run the right grip switches then a foot into it I ran my TBW attaching my pull wire to the switch bundle and gently pulled them both. gently push in a few inches, then pull out a few inches. I've found not all bars have the same spacing inside for wire. I put my Santee bars on my wifes FXDC (narrower spread) then put WO572s on my RK (much wider spread at the top suitable for bigger fork sizes). They are both 1 1/4 bars, but the WO's seemed to have more space inside allowing for easier wire fishing.....also, you want to make sure your soldering is clean and complete as well as dont use too thin a wire, 18 guage seems the best from my experience.

Last edited by TUCCI; 03-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

did mine this winter. should of pulled throttle side first. I did not. are you using the SE tbw ? connectors have to be off. I used wire lube from home depot. took me about 4 trys but just pour the lube to it and it will slide right thru.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I just did my Yaffe MBB a month ago or so. First off I destroyed pins so ended up using extension kit. I would just plan to add the extensions next time much easier IMO. I used a thin chain and bought the extended TBW to pull, then I ganged the TBW into the same pull and in the end got it using wire lube, but it was a pain, take a break and go at it when you have a fresh head.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
maryvillept
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to push from the top and then pull the bottom. I used weed eater line as well. Start by taping the weed eater line a out 4 inches from the pins and tie to one wire then add a couple more wires after wrapping a few times with tape. We did about4 wires total and we found this to be the best trick after about 5 other tries including chain and all other kinds of "engineering"

Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 PM
dSINtia
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I use a thin chain, makes it easy to zip tie the wires securely to the chain, never let lose after many times pullin wires thru.
Brilliant!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 PM
chprdean
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well since everyone is putting in their tips and tricks.. Take a piece of yarn or small rope or what have ya about two feet. Use electric tape and wrap it up about 8 or ten inches. Feed the end of the yarn into the bars. tape every exposed hole. grab a shop vac and turn it on and suck from the bottom of the bars. the yarn will come right out. lube the wires with some soap. small amounts... work it.. you should have them through in about five to ten minutes a side...

Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I use string with a little nut tied to it to get the string through the bars. Then put a couple half hitches on the wire and tape it. Try some baby powder on the wires, it's cleaner then using soap. Push and pull/ twist, pull some more you'll get them trough. Those sharp angles are a bitch. Walk away for a while if your frustrated. And I always put my wires in the same loom that 2pet3kids posted. It's strong as hell and it'll protect the wires from rubbing through on those sharp bends. And either get the SE TBW harness or cut the green plug out. Word of advice if you cut the plug out and use the stock harness, cut and splice one wire at a time or you stand a good chance of crossing a wire. Don't ask me how I know. Nothing worse then fighting to get the wires in, then finally getting them in and finding out the throttle doesn't work.

Last edited by monster715; 03-03-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Almost ready to throw the bars across the kitchen!