Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of your aftermarket batwing fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Iron 1250
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just purchased a Tsuyaku 6 x 9 stereo batwing detachable fairing for my 2012 Road King and am going through the process of having the outer-shell painted, so have not conducted any road tests just yet.

In preparing the unit on the bike, i.e. fitting brackets, troubleshooting a small issue with the power I have noticed the weight of this unit is quite noticeable. This got me thinking and I have looked at the front suspension setup on the Road King verses the other members of the touring family. I can see that the Road King springs have a different part number to that of those models with factory fairings and there is a dampening valve in these models too that is absent from the Road Kings.

So my question is how is handling effected once the full stereo detachable fairing is in place? I'm about to embark on a 3,125 mile round trip to a rally and am thinking should I be looking at upgrading the suspension in the front end. Once the fairing is back together I shall conduct road tests prior to departure of course but I would like to get the opinion of other forum members on their experiences if they have noticed detrimental effects of a detachable fairing on stock springs? I've searched through previous threads and this issue doesn't appear to have been mentioned, read a lot on wiring harnesses, speaker numbers, etc. however so it may not be anything to be concerned about but I would like to get the options of those who regularly use these units. Many thanks in advance.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron 1250
I have just purchased a Tsuyaku 6 x 9 stereo batwing detachable fairing for my 2012 Road King and am going through the process of having the outer-shell painted, so have not conducted any road tests just yet.

In preparing the unit on the bike, i.e. fitting brackets, troubleshooting a small issue with the power I have noticed the weight of this unit is quite noticeable. This got me thinking and I have looked at the front suspension setup on the Road King verses the other members of the touring family. I can see that the Road King springs have a different part number to that of those models with factory fairings and there is a dampening valve in these models too that is absent from the Road Kings.

So my question is how is handling effected once the full stereo detachable fairing is in place? I'm about to embark on a 3,125 mile round trip to a rally and am thinking should I be looking at upgrading the suspension in the front end. Once the fairing is back together I shall conduct road tests prior to departure of course but I would like to get the opinion of other forum members on their experiences if they have noticed detrimental effects of a detachable fairing on stock springs? I've searched through previous threads and this issue doesn't appear to have been mentioned, read a lot on wiring harnesses, speaker numbers, etc. however so it may not be anything to be concerned about but I would like to get the options of those who regularly use these units. Many thanks in advance.
My fairing is the Deadcenter but same idea.
I have never noticed a problem with the handling when the fairing is on.
I have Progressive monoshock in the front but no problem with it or the stock set up.
Only difference with the fairing is the loss of some of the open feeling and sightlines you get without it, but you forget about it quickly.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone heard if any of the aftermarket batwing manufacturers are following suit with the MOCO and incorporating a vent in the near future?