Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with GPS routes etc (Garmin 665)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me with GPS routes etc (Garmin 665)

Ok guys I have a Road tech 665 that I had mounted on my 10' and kept when I traded that in for a 14' LTD. Given the craptastic GPS system in the Rushmore bikes, and my propensity to want to ride documented great bike roads and routes, I've mounted it on my 2014. What I really need is someone to help me figure out how to create custom routes and save and import them into the Garmin for use on a few planned bike trips I'm doing this season. I'm a novice when it comes to GPS stuff like this but pretty good with computers overall. I'm using a MAC if that makes a difference. I don't know if I should be using basecamp (which I have) or some other software. I joined the Garmin forum to learn about all this but was quickly overwhelmed trying to search for the info I needed. If someone would be willing to break this all down to a "GPS for dummies" level and help me learn, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brief synopsis of what I'm trying to accomplish: I have plenty of paper maps with routes on them (America rides maps) that I want to copy into a software program and dump into my Garmin. I'm also a subscriber to Backroads magazine which offers rides in every issues as well as access to gpx files for download. I prefer to NOT have to use the Harley ride planner as I find it cumbersome and difficult to use sometimes.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, it's worth it to learn and use Base Camp. Harley ride planner doesn't import the maps correctly to the gps whereas Base Camp imports the exact route you created.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:09 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stag556
In my experience, it's worth it to learn and use Base Camp. Harley ride planner doesn't import the maps correctly to the gps whereas Base Camp imports the exact route you created.
That's my sentiment exactly.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Basecamp works well enough for me, it's nice to be able to relax and sit at your PC and create the route then export it to your GPS knowing that it will come through just the way you planned it. Besides planning out your rides sure helps you get through this long damn winter.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 AM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I do not like base camp for making routes. What I do is create a route using Google maps and a software called Tyre ToTravel( free download http://www.tyretotravel.com) you can import the Google maps url and convert it to a file that can be downloaded to the Garmin or a Tom Tom. You can also create maps in the program and it is very similar to Google maps. There are purchased version of the software that get you a few more features but I have not found that I have needed them

Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

I wouldn't mind using google maps, but I really would like to learn how to use base camp as so many have success with it.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:34 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Garmin really screwed up by not supporting Map Source anymore. MS was and is the best route planner there ever was. I still have it on my putter, but if it goes, so will MS. I have BC but haven't used it yet.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Stag556
I've been using a Garmin 660 mounted on my 08. I have travelled to every state in the continental U.S. and have routed every trip using HD's ride planner. I have never had an issue with it not correctly exporting from my Mac to the 660. And I travel off the beaten path.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a problem with BaseCamp. When you move the route, I can't seem to snap it where I want, therefor it leaves a tail on the route....may be in someones driveway. I haven't tried it but Mapquest looks like it will download the map to the GPS.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Here is a series of tutorials for learning how to use basecamp

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcente...ning/basecamp/

Quick Reply: Help me with GPS routes etc (Garmin 665)