Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Synthetic oil
85.08%
standard petroleum oil
14.92%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Wondering how many use synthetic vs standard pertoleum oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 AM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wondering how many use synthetic vs standard pertoleum oil

the synt. oil has advantages

when extremely hot it will not burn up and when extremely cold it will not become sluggish

as regular oils may.

have used them since they first came out many moons ago and it is the oe oil in porsche ,ferrari,vettes,etc...

having said that..............i usuallly may use a regular oil or a blend during fall and spring and then as summer or winter approaches i may will switch to a synt.

now the advantage of this for me is the frequent oil changes which is important.,even thou some cars say to not change it until after 10,000 miles ..........i prefer to go 3,000 miles, 4,000 the most ,regardless in a car.
in a motorcycle,specially an air cooled one like hd or beemer air head, i will go 1,500 in summer /winter, and 2,500 in fall and spring.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since modern air cooled bike engines run hotter than in the past, synthetic oils with superior heat resistance and anti shear qualitiesare better....period. Now with that being said, if you prefer to stick with Dino oil you should be just fine as long as you change it often. Like every 2.500 miles give or take a couple hundred. Plenty of riders have gotten adequate protection using Dino. As for myself, I will run synthetic. I spent a good chunk of change on my ride so I'm not going to count pennies when it comes to lubricants.It's too important a component in the bike's maintainence.Besides, you can extend the change intervals with synthetic out to 5,000 to 8,000 miles. Some go to 10,000 and the oil is still good according to various independent tests ( I won't go into naming them.) I would not go quite that far myself and intend to change at the 5,000 to 8,000. As far as brand, any good quality syn formulated for air cooled motorcycle engines is fine. I use Amsoil right now because I got a good deal on a case. I would use Redline, Mobile 1, Spectro, Royal Purple etc......and be just as pleased. Brand loyalty is not neccessary. My .02

Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

SYN3

Old 03-22-2007, 10:46 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

syn3 now at 1k service. use synth in all vehicles if for no other reason than extended oil changes. heat,vibration,piece of mind also.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
christian0632
Tourer

The bottom line is synthetic is superior. Do the research. There is lots of info on the internet. If anyone says differently they are just plain wrong. However, there are many that prefer standard fossil oil and that is fine. More importantly than the type of oil you use is to perform regular oil and filter changes along with routine maintenance.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I use synthetics. I think they are better overall. As far as brand, like another poster said, loyalty to one particular one is overrated. It boils down to marketing. Any of the top name brands will do.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm another synthetic oil user for all the reasons the pros have discussed earlier. I'm surprised at the large percentage that have switched to syn.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Syn3 is a wast of $$....... Look it up, do a search.
Amsoil is the leader of all synthetics. It's a proven fact. Again look it up. AMSOIL all three holes.............

Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I tried Mobil 1 V-twin because my son in law could get it for me for cost which I think was about 3.50 a qt. I did not see that it was any different(heat the same, sound the same, etc.)than HD 360 so I went back. The reason being, the HD 360 is easier to find on the road, and I change my oil at 2,500 miles no matter where I am. Plus on the road, without the son in law discount, the Mobile 1 is a little pricey, even at WalMart, if an whenyou can find it there.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-22-2007, 01:43 PM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

I have used Syn 3 in my last three bikes. I like it because I only need to carry one bottle on trips, just in case. I also like the fact that I only have to change my oil once a year because of the extended mileage.

Quick Reply: Wondering how many use synthetic vs standard pertoleum oil