Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?

Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to install standard height Progressive Monotubes on my 2003 Ultra within the next few weeks.

Question – How many spacers should I go with?

I weigh 150 lbs. soaking wet. The wife rides with me occasionally, but she weighs only 120 lbs. I'm okay with a softer ride, so I’m thinking 1 spacer. Your thoughts please.

Also installing chrome lowers and new Shinko WWWs while I have the bike apart.

Thx

Last edited by run1fsr; 02-27-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Firechaser1141
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you, Firechaser.

Should have noted that I’ve seen the videos, and hoping for some real world feedback from a rider my size with a similar bike.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Firechaser1141
Tourer

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Thank you, Firechaser.

Should have noted that I’ve seen the videos, and hoping for some real world feedback from a rider my size with a similar bike.
No problems I'm about to install s set also only lower version so I'm interested in the reply also

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm looking at the same thing on the same bike. I'm about the same size as you with a similarly sized wife (close enough that we'll not mention it anyways ) so I'll be following along.

Can you post a review and how many spacers you finally went with after you're done?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

My new tires arrived today, and I began disassembly this evening.

I’ve a number of things to address before the nice weather arrives:

• Monotube and chrome slider installation
• Mounting new tires
• Easy pull clutch kit install
• All fluids, filters and spark plugs
• Permanent installation of my Sirius Satellite Radio and a new Big Crank battery

I’m likely going with one spacer, however, it may be a few weeks before I can provide any information regarding the monotubes. I will keep you guys posted.

Attached Thumbnails Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?-photo-1.jpg   Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by run1fsr; 03-01-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:00 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The instructions say "both spacers". I used both spacers.

Call Progressive and ask them if you're questioning the instructions. They're the only ones who can give you a better answer.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Update – Approximately 90% complete. I chipped away at it this weekend, taking breaks when necessary for other activities. Today I will reinstall the brake calipers and work on the Sirius radio.

After some additional reading I elected to go with one spacer for a less stiff ride. Clearly in the minority here, I actually prefer the Lincoln Town Car handling this bike provides.

The chrome lowers and new white walls look great … the wife even said so.

Being fairly confident my assembly of the monotubes is correct, I’m looking forward to a test ride. However, Mother Nature will prevent that today.

Attached Thumbnails Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?-photo-21.jpg   Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?-photo-31.jpg   Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?-photo-41.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
StreetKing
Tourer

subscribed - I just bought a set for my King.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:06 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Update - My bike is now 99% back together.

Disassembly for install of the monotubes commenced Friday night two weeks ago, and by that Sunday evening I had both forks and front wheel back together. No major discoveries thanks to the numerous threads on this forum. I did stick to the instructions within my HD service manual. The manual is essential for technical info … like torque specifications. However, the forum threads fill in gaps and provide helpful hints the manual fails to note. One pleasant surprise is how much easier it was to compress the monotubes vs. the stock springs, as I’ve battled that before on other bikes.

In addition to the springs I’ve replaced the tires, installed my Sirius satellite radio and installed an easy-pull clutch (requiring partial removal of the exhaust system. I should have it all completed by tomorrow, and will post results / comments after some time in the seat.

Quick Reply: Standard Height Monotube Install ... how many spacers?