Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control crapped out

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Cruise control crapped out

Just took a long road trip and my cruise control crapped out 200 miles from home, the light turns red when I power it up but it will not set at speed. It was raining pretty heavy prior to this and I still had all the raingear and gloves on and when I hit dry roads I set it and it worked fine but I think I put too much pressure on the throttle with the lost heavy feeling of the bulky gloves and it shut off and would not set again. Anybody have some useful ideas of where to look for a problem?? I never had a bike with cruise before and I really like it. The bike in question is a 04 road king classic with factory installed cruise. I did check to see if the brake lights were sticking and they were not.Thanks in advance for any help here.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cruise control crapped out

Check the roll-off switch on the idle return cable. It's on the right side of the frame neck in plain view. If you unplug one of the leads and it fixes itself you have a bad switch. Same thing happened lst year on mine.

Tom

Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I just added cruise control to my SG, and I was actually thinking mabe the roll off switch too.

Bob

Old 03-22-2007, 01:23 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2005 road trip. It was the roll off switch.[8D]

Old 03-22-2007, 02:55 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the replies, I do have the repair manual but it has zero for troubleshooting so I was just going to start checking everything and I will start with the rolloff switch. The problem occured right after I accidentallyrolled off the throttle while the cruise was engaged so it seems a very likely culprit. I have cruise on a 30 year old chevy that never has failed and this Harley has only had the cruise used for the last two months. Too bad I do not have the extended warranty, the switch will likely be ahundred bucksor more but I really like the cruise especially on a long ride.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Beavis
Cruiser

1: If it is the roll-off switch, just unplug it and ride on !! It is just an extra safety feature that I don't think you need; just tap the brake and the cruise shuts off.

2: If it is not the roll-off switch, check the brake relay switch under/rearward of the driver's floorboard on the passenger's side. If that switch is bad, the brake lights stay on and you can't set the cruise.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

I did check the brake lights staying on first and they are working normal and not saying on so the first thing I will try is unplug the rolloff switch. It is the likely part as I rolled off prior to it failing to work. Funny too is that was the first time I ever actually "used" the rolloff device accidentally as I still had all the heavy gloves and rubber overgloves from the rain a few miles backand had zero feel of the controls.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced

Mine did exactly the same thing. Unplud the roll off switch and you'll be back in the saddle....or you could tell your lady the only way to fix it is to put some apes or pull backs on it since you have to replace the cable