Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok what are the differences between lower fairings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I can tell they come with the snap on covers but not the "glove box doors". So while technically they don't come with doors they do come with covers. I called around for painting and for me it's just not worth the little savings going eBay. I'm going to try Kutter as suggested by Skratch and see if they are any cheaper. I get my bonus in March and want to get the bike dyno tuned and the lowers. We have a couple of long trips planned and I would like to get rid of the little buffeting I have from the air coming up around the tank. While it's not terrible by no means we regularly ride at 85mph when traveling and after a day at those speeds the air coming up wears on me. The older I get the more comfortable I want to be...lol.. I just hope they don't make the ride considerably hotter in our Texas summers. If so then I might end up using them on trips and during the winter only.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM
boosting1bar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcdermit
Hope this helps the discussion?
Awesome, thanks!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am partial to the look of no lowers. I use the soft lowers in cold weather and take them off and enjoy the ride and looks of a bare engine guard on my RKC.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Rico Rose
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the charcoal Webo and if I had your bike I would go with the Harley part. Mine being an 09 I am thinking of going with the Ebay cheapies and leaving them black. I have seen the gloss black on my color bike and they don't look bad.

Everyone mentions you need Harley mounting brackets. What exactly do you need to purchase? Is it a mounting kit or what?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I just hope they don't make the ride considerably hotter in our Texas summers. If so then I might end up using them on trips and during the winter only.
i live right next door in la, and use mine year round. yes, i do take the doors off in the summer for some extra air flow, but otherwise, the slight increase in perceived heat is not as much a negative as the air control is a positive.

i have heard that the new style allow much more air flow without having to remove the vent doors.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default vents

Originally Posted by skratch
i live right next door in la, and use mine year round. yes, i do take the doors off in the summer for some extra air flow, but otherwise, the slight increase in perceived heat is not as much a negative as the air control is a positive.

i have heard that the new style allow much more air flow without having to remove the vent doors.
I don't think you would have to take the vents off on 14 lowers. there is a big difference in them. They open wide and don't get in the way of your feet. The glove boxes are really nice too.

Webo go to a local HD dealer and look at the 14 lowers before you make up your mind. The 13 and older really restrict foot movement when the vents are open.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
From what I can tell they come with the snap on covers but not the "glove box doors". So while technically they don't come with doors they do come with covers. I called around for painting and for me it's just not worth the little savings going eBay. I'm going to try Kutter as suggested by Skratch and see if they are any cheaper. I get my bonus in March and want to get the bike dyno tuned and the lowers. We have a couple of long trips planned and I would like to get rid of the little buffeting I have from the air coming up around the tank. While it's not terrible by no means we regularly ride at 85mph when traveling and after a day at those speeds the air coming up wears on me. The older I get the more comfortable I want to be...lol.. I just hope they don't make the ride considerably hotter in our Texas summers. If so then I might end up using them on trips and during the winter only.
The newly designed 2014 lowers will come with the "doors" I assure you and doesn't come with the old snap on doors. Not really sure why it states in the catalog that the doors are sold separately.

If you are looking to stop the air buffeting coming from the lower end then I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the lowers. I've been riding in the south Texas summer heat with lowers for quite some time now. Gets a little warm at times but has never been bad enough to make me want to remove them. I have also found the new lowers do a much better job of directing air down low for better air flow than the old style does.

Last edited by Bearcat1; 02-26-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:19 AM
PackersShirt
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rico Rose
Love the charcoal Webo and if I had your bike I would go with the Harley part. Mine being an 09 I am thinking of going with the Ebay cheapies and leaving them black. I have seen the gloss black on my color bike and they don't look bad.

Everyone mentions you need Harley mounting brackets. What exactly do you need to purchase? Is it a mounting kit or what?
You can get the "quick detach" kit from the ebay provider for about $50 (my lowers and kit was $200). I don't understand the need for "quick detach"--when are you going to be taking them off in a situation without tools?--but I ordered the kit because I had no idea what I needed or how they attached. You could save some coin and just go to home depot and get some bolts and stuff if you have "patience". Which I do not.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat1
The newly designed 2014 lowers will come with the "doors" I assure you and doesn't come with the old snap on doors. Not really sure why it states in the catalog that the doors are sold separately.

If you are looking to stop the air buffeting coming from the lower end then I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the lowers. I've been riding in the south Texas summer heat with lowers for quite some time now. Gets a little warm at times but has never been bad enough to make me want to remove them. I have also found the new lowers do a much better job of directing air down low for better air flow than the old style does.
So do they come with the doors like on the 2014 FLHTCU. Push on the top and they open up?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsCrazy
So do they come with the doors like on the 2014 FLHTCU. Push on the top and they open up?
Yes, that's 14' lowers on my SGS that you see in my sig picture. Exactly like what you would see on a 14' Ultra with the push to open door. Ordered them straight out of the 2014 HD catalog and had everything included.

Quick Reply: Ok what are the differences between lower fairings?