Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok what are the differences between lower fairings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

……. time you buy the paint
….. & have someone local prep & shoot a knock-off,
……………...you'll spend nearly as much as ordering color matched

……. plus,... then ya know the colors' gonna match
…………… go ahead, ask me how i know

Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really want to go with the lowers, which I really like on my SG, then do yourself a favor and don't skimp and the get the new HD color matched 2014 version for your 2014 bike. They are worth every penny. Everything is better about them compared to the older version. The storage doors now open nicely with a magnetic latch as opposed to 4 snaps with a flimsy door. And the vent assembly now has a nice lever to open and close a more functional cooling door as opposed to the former sliding door that would sometimes get off track. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bearcat1; 02-25-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 AM
boosting1bar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearcat1
If you really want to go with the lowers, which I really like on my SG, then do yourself a favor and don't skimp and the get the new HD color matched 2014 version for your 2014 bike. They are worth every penny. Everything is better about them compared to the older version. The storage doors now open nicely with a magnetic latch as opposed to 4 snaps with a flimsy door. And the vent assembly now has a nice lever to open and close a more functional cooling door as opposed to the former sliding door that would sometimes get off track. Hope this helps.
Any chance you've got a part number handy for those? I picked up my SGS yesterday and that's next on my list to get. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set off a 2010 Ultra Limited, black in good shape with the mounting hardware. A few minor scuffs. Not show quality, they have about 20K miles on them. $400 and I will ship them. Or make an offer.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps the discussion?

Attached Thumbnails Ok what are the differences between lower fairings?-lowers-catalog.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 AM
PackersShirt
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Webo
I think I would like to break down and install the lower fairings so now I need to decide which ones to get. I've heard there are changes to the 2014 lowers but I'm not sure what's different about them from the 2013 lowers. I know I've seen people on here pick up lowers on eBay pretty cheap compared to the 2014's in the HD catalog. The 2014's color matched from HD will be over $1300. Can someone break down the differences for me and maybe point out the pros and cons? Thanks!
I don't know the differences and I agree the catalog is baffling with its talk of doors and flaps and liners and all that crap, plus I have no idea how much paint costs, but to this I can attest: the el cheapo ebay lowers I bought fit a 2014 Street Glide Special perfectly. That wasn't clear from the ebay post and I did quite a bit of asking around here. With that said, they are selling a $700 product for $150, so you don't get any instructions (there's a youtube video that's pretty helpful) and the finish on mine wasn't perfect, but I'm not spending $700, so it works for me.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

The pre-'14 lowers use a sliding vent door that works off a single pivot at the top of the door. That pivot is a bit difficult to reach & operate while riding. The doors can change position on their own upon occasion (right wind gust while riding can move them). They also have a tendency to rattle when in the closed position (only hanging there on that top pivot point).

The '14 lowers use a vent door that is mounted from both top & bottom. They have a sliding lever to operate the doors. When brand new, the levers operate very stiffly, but seem to "loosen up" & operate reasonably smooth with a bit of use. Don't know for sure if the vents are more effective (I have a water cooled model) or just seem so because of different heat levels off the engine (last bike was a 103 ci w/10:1 CR as well), but my perception is, they work better. Can't address the storage cubby/lid issue cuz my 14 doesn't have them (I do miss not having them).

Choice is yours. I think either will work...

Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat1
The catalog states "Glove Box Doors are sold separately". Is that true? Are there no glove box doors?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

there is a difference between doors and covers. when I bought mine, they came with everything I needed, installation hardware, glove boxes (extra if you buy the nonvented type), and the covers that snap on.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsCrazy
The catalog states "Glove Box Doors are sold separately". Is that true? Are there no glove box doors?
Only thing I can think that is referring to is the locking doors that you can purchase as an option instead of the magnetic doors that come standard. I know mine had everything needed to complete the installation.

Quick Reply: Ok what are the differences between lower fairings?