Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locktite?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Chkysbak
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locktite?

Ok, a little back ground:

On my previous bike I had installed offset highway pegs and lost one of my pegs going down the highway. I purchased another set of pegs for my Ami-Lou (2011 Ultra) and was going to use locktite to secure them. I have seen blue, red, and purple, but don't know which one to use. I am leaning toward blue. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, blue is medium which is basically the general purpose one. Red is high strength. You use that when you want a "permanent" hold. You can use heat to break the bond though. Blue can be broken by hand tools alone. I don't know what the purple is.

I've had my pegs come off before. Loctite ever since.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Blue is good for general use, and what i use the most.

locktite cures when exposed to heat, if used in an application which is not heated- it may not cure and stay kinda gummy.

for this type of thing I often paint the threads with clear nail polish. It'll break loose if deliberate force is applied

mike

Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Blue will work, so will red....

I've never used heat to break red, I just horse it out. Blue, once you get the initial break, will allow the threads to move. Red is like unscrewing a locknut.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 02-25-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:08 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
locktite cures when exposed to heat, if used in an application which is not heated- it may not cure and stay kinda gummy.

Negative sir, quite the opposite in fact.

From their website:

Anaerobics, that include many of our threadlockers, pipe sealants, retaining compounds and flange sealants, are products that cure in the absence of air. These are products that are designed for metal-to-metal assemblies although they are sometimes used for other materials as well. The presence of metal (ions) accelerates the cure of these products. When you assemble parts with an anaerobic and you have excess squeeze out, outside the joint, this will not harden due to the anaerobic nature of the product. Simply wipe the excess away with a common solvent like acetone or isopropyl alcohol. Typically anaerobics fully cure in 24 hours at room temperature under normal ambient conditions when properly used.

Yes, you can heat cure anaerobics to achieve faster full cure. Typically you can heat cure these products at 250°F (125°C) for about one (1) hour or go as low as 150°F (66°C) for about three (3) hours. The one trade off is the fact that you will probably reduce your ultimate strength some. Whenever you accelerate the cross-linking of the polymer, you can reduce your ultimate strength. Carefully test for suitability.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 02-25-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
onespeed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Not quite....................

From their website: "Threadlockers are a single component anaerobic adhesive comprised of unique liquid resins that harden (or cure) to a durable solid when exposed to metal ions in the absence of air. The anaerobic cure mechanism allows the adhesive to flow and evenly settle to lock and seal threaded fasteners without curing permanently. Any excess threadlocker will remain liquid, and is easily wiped away from the assembly."

Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
DesertDweller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use blue #243 on most parts. Don't use purple unless you want to lose them again. It's weak and for small fasteners.

Here's a chart showing the different grades: http://henkelna.com/us/content_data/...ide_032010.pdf

Have fun, ride safe

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Cannot go strictly by color since I have 5 grades and they are all red. However, when I took the peg mounts off my bike to put fwd controls on, they were held with red. Before I could get the first bolt all the way out, the torx was just about trash. I hate to use 400+ degrees on paint, so I just used my impact. I would use red (permanent prefix) if you want to be safe, reliable and use your bike for travel. You truly do not want it coming loose some night 400 miles from home on a dark interstate. Last trip, I was driving onto a ferry ramp and the small setscrew holding my stirrup (poor boy floorboards) worked loose and dropped down rattling across the steel grate. I drilled thru and pinned them with split roll pins when I got home. Crap like this could get you hurt.

Heat above 400 kills loctite. Loctite dries in the absence of air (why the bottles are 1/3 full) Also why they make different grades for fine and coarse threads and sleeves. I also clean with lacquer thinner and use loctite primer (especially on the compensator nut or bolt depending on year.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-25-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM
DesertDweller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Cannot go strictly by color since I have 5 grades and they are all red. However, when I took the peg mounts off my bike to put fwd controls on, they were held with red. Before I could get the first bolt all the way out, the torx was just about trash. I hate to use 400+ degrees on paint, so I just used my impact. I would use red if you want to be safe and use your bike for travel. You truly do not want it coming loose some night 400 miles from home on a dark interstate. Last trip, I was driving onto a ferry ramp and the small setscrew holding my stirrup (poor boy floorboards) worked loose and dropped down rattling across the steel grate. I drilled thru and pinned them with split roll pins when I got home. Crap like this could get you hurt.
Really bad in a group ride to have someone in front of you lose something off their bike. Don't ask how I know....

Old 02-25-2014, 12:46 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the blue and you just need a dab on the last couple threads.

Quick Reply: Locktite?