Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014 | 05:14 PM
Brykwil
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hogpro
My pleasure. There are a lot of different things to know about wheels and thankfully we know the answers to some of those questions. Here is teh page taht has the brackets on it. Scroll down a bit. You'll see them. http://www.hogpro.com/showcat2.php?catid=26

Thanks again! Like a kid in a candy store.

Old 02-26-2014 | 07:37 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Brykwil
Thanks again! Like a kid in a candy store.
A very expensive candy store...lol. But you'll enjoy for a long time vs the candy.

Old 02-28-2014 | 07:08 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

I see no need to shim the kickstand with a 21" front wheel. I have never actually even thought about that.

Now you will, lol. Maybe with an 18 on the rear it's not as bad but with my 16 it was very noticable. A couple people actually asked why it leaned so much when parked by other bikes and it was a little more work to lift off the stand. When I realized it was extra pressure when parked on grass and blacktop in the summer I decided I didn't want my bike falling over and bought a shim.

Old 02-28-2014 | 09:12 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
Now you will, lol. Maybe with an 18 on the rear it's not as bad but with my 16 it was very noticable. A couple people actually asked why it leaned so much when parked by other bikes and it was a little more work to lift off the stand. When I realized it was extra pressure when parked on grass and blacktop in the summer I decided I didn't want my bike falling over and bought a shim.
I'm still not sure what the issue with this. I have the stock size 16" on the rear and and a 21 on the front at stock height and have no issue. I think this issue is being over thought. The bike is not going to fall over unless you forget to use the jiffy stand.

I am sure you could buy a shorter stand if you want but it is completely unnecessary. We do out best to state the facts so you don't spend money on stuff you don't need. A different kickstand is not needed. I will sell you one if you insist but I'd insist there is no need. If you have issues lifting the bike off the stand you probably should not be riding it in the first place.

Old 02-28-2014 | 11:52 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

I'm still not sure what the issue with this. I have the stock size 16" on the rear and and a 21 on the front at stock height and have no issue. I think this issue is being over thought. The bike is not going to fall over unless you forget to use the jiffy stand.

I am sure you could buy a shorter stand if you want but it is completely unnecessary. We do out best to state the facts so you don't spend money on stuff you don't need. A different kickstand is not needed. I will sell you one if you insist but I'd insist there is no need. If you have issues lifting the bike off the stand you probably should not be riding it in the first place.
Not sure where this is coming from but if it's the way I read read it I want to respond.

There is no "issue" unless you're trying to make one. Basically calling me a liar will do it.

First off, it doesn't call for a shorter kickstand as you said, but a longer one. Or a simple $20 shim to angle the stock stand down. Second, the extra lean angle put more pressure on the pad of the kickstand and it sank further into asphalt and earth than I liked and I often came back to my bike to find it buried into the ground in situations I never needed a puck in before several times. You're probably right that it wouldn't fall but I found it close to a 45 degree angle once. Since I shimmed it, no issues.
Keep in mind this is an 08 and the 09 and up is a different stand, possibly longer if I recall correctly, but definitely a different mount.
As for "issues lifting the bike off the stand" if you mean me I assure you at 6'1" 220 pounds and a 32" waist and a clean bill of health I don't need any help.
I appreciate that you're out to help customers and do right by them, so it surprises me a little that you don't seem to want to file a little nugget of information away for what it's worth.

Old 02-28-2014 | 12:03 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

All I am saying is a new stand is not necessary. Not sure on your interpretation. If you felt a change was necessary and made one my hat is off to you. I don't think any change is necessary. Plain and simple.

I see no need to defend myself, I just want to state this plainly. There is no NEED to modify your kickstand. If you want to have at it and enjoy. Have a nice day.

Old 02-28-2014 | 12:12 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

All I am saying is a new stand is not necessary. Not sure on your interpretation. If you felt a change was necessary and made one my hat is off to you. I don't think any change is necessary. Plain and simple.

I see no need to defend myself, I just want to state this plainly. There is no NEED to modify your kickstand. If you want to have at it and enjoy. Have a nice day.
Fair enough. And a nice day to you as well, sir.

Old 02-28-2014 | 02:07 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior

So where do I buy a new kickstand at?

Old 02-28-2014 | 02:53 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

The only reason you would need to change your kickstand is when you keep your stock wheels and lower the bike 1 or more inches, the lean angle is not enough and your bike will topple over, A friend of mine just had this happen to him. However if you have a larger wheel in the front and lower your bike 1 or more inches you will NOT need a new stand I know this because my bike is lowered in the front 1 inch and I have 11 inch shocks in the rear and mine lean angle is fine. The guys at hogpro are stand up guys they have a lot of knowledge, they weren't trying to be mean or make you sound stupid it's just that sometimes guys in here with less knowledge steer guys in the wrong direction and they spend money on something they don't need. Not to sure why anyone would put their measurements on a post? We all know that we are giants behind the computer screen...

Old 02-28-2014 | 03:33 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

Not enough time to read through the posts, but enough time to post a comment, eh?

The point of contention is when the wheel is switched to a 21" and the bike is NOT lowered. Do a little searching and you'll find dozens of posts from people with the same concerns I had before I corrected.

Maybe I took it the wrong way- winter has been long here and I'm a little pissed off about it. I'm fine with Hogpro.

Quick Reply: 21" Wheel