Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets and Communication

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmets and Communication

Who has or does use the Communication systems on their Bikes? My wife and I are considering Helmets and installing the Communication system so we can hear the radio and talk between us easier. Also I think it would be great to use the CB function and talk to others that we ride with, but before I start spending money I'd like to know, 3/4 helmet versus full face? Are the stock Harley system ok or should I just consider a blue tooth after market system?

I appreciate all advice.

DK

Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the stock Harley system on my Limited I think it works fine.You can pick up barely used or even brand new headsets in the forum classifieds fairly cheap.We have full face helmets but our headsets would work with 3/4 helmets.I don't use the CB and wish it could work with my cell phone but it won't.It's also a hard wired system so you have to plug in when you get on the bike.There are wireless alternatives but they are more expensive and may not work with all the features of your stock stereo.I also don't use the Vox? option because it cuts on every time you accelerate or pass a truck.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 PM
romarofca
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headphones

i HAVE 3/4 HELMET and the H D microphone and ear pieces they fit good work good but to be honest unless you have a passenger there not used much because i don't find many riders with communication devices. there great for stereo but be careful not all states accept them hope it helps

Old 02-24-2014, 02:35 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We use the Harley headsets & have no issues. We do not have any problems with the VOX, which can be adjusted using the radio.

Have read great reviews of http://www.edsets.com/ as well

Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I've had bikes with headsets since '99. I have always used the headsets with half helmets. My wife sewed up pockets to hold the speakers & attached them to the strap support structure before there was a commercial product available. Much easier now with several 1/2 helmets available now that have optional speaker mounting pods available.

I recently purchased a headset that is new in the '14 P&A catalog in the accessories section (see attachment). It works with or w/o a 1/2 helmet. I find the audio quality is superior to any other headset I've used. This includes the stock unit that comes with the bike, any of the other HD headsets in the P&A book, and a few aftermarket units I've borrowed from friends that they purchased off the internet.

I have not tried the J&M headset on any of my bikes, so I can't speak to their quality. I did, however, try a J&M on my brother's Gold Wing and found it to be about on par with my stock HD headsets.

Just MHO, others may have differing opinions.

Attached Thumbnails Helmets and Communication-headset.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great feedback, Thanks everyone. I am looking at using the stock system that comes on my Limited. If I can find another used one on here I will go that route, otherwise I guess I will buy a new one from Harley.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

We both have 3/4 helmets with J&M Elites. We had the HD ones and took them back. The music sound quality wasn't what I was looking for. I'm very happy with the J&M's. We use them for comms and XM. Haven't messed with the CB yet.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DK's Limited
Who has or does use the Communication systems on their Bikes? My wife and I are considering Helmets and installing the Communication system so we can hear the radio and talk between us easier. Also I think it would be great to use the CB function and talk to others that we ride with, but before I start spending money I'd like to know, 3/4 helmet versus full face? Are the stock Harley system ok or should I just consider a blue tooth after market system?

I appreciate all advice.

DK
I love my EdSets. Great new speakers (Thunderclap), fabulous service and 3 year warranty. He also has a ABUF cover for the microphone which diminishes the wind from screwing up the VOX. Ed also does premium installation and very professional work. You need to check them out before you decide. I have a modular Nolan 43E Trilogy helmet. Ed's 3G model has both a connection for the audio system on the bike and a port for an iPhone or iPod hookup if you want to listen to music only thru your phone or iPod. My wife and I are enjoying the music as well as being able to talk back and forth while riding.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve

Have read great reviews of http://www.edsets.com/ as well
Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy & I use the stock Harley head sets that came with the Ultras. I use them for the CB only. I listen to the stereo & my GPS' mp3 & directions through the bikes speakers. He uses them for the stereo & CB.

I don't have a passenger so I can't comment on the rider/passenger communications of the stock head sets.

The stock head sets work well for both of us on the road.

Quick Reply: Helmets and Communication