Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage2 - for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stage2 - for dummies

I am so overwhelmed with info and options, Im at the point where I just dont know what to even look up at this point. Hoping someone can help me out here.

SLIPS: I have SE2 slipons ready to go on

PIPE: I'd like a cat-free, does the brand matter? Or do i just get any factory pipe thats been gutted? Not interested in creating a race bike, just want heat and sound benefits.

AIRCLEANER: From what i read i will be ok leaving my factor airbox (can you confirm?) which is good because i really like the style of it.

TUNER: Do i NEED a tuner? If so, which one? Is it easy to put in or should i pay my dealer? Is it ok if i do the pipes myself and bring it there to just do the tuner, or will that void my warrantee or something. Very confused about the tuner ... or do i just need a D/L from the dealer? So confused.

Thanks all, hoping someone can dummy this down for me a bit.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default stage 1

It sounds like you are really asking about a stage 1.

Slip ons are very personal. Depends on how loud you want to how much performance is your priority.
Tuner.. I would advise a TTS, Power Vision or the Harley flash tune.

Stage 1 is tuner, exhaust and breather.

The exhaust is the most individual part of the stage 1. Some like a 2 into 1, others 2:1:2 and some like me want a 2:2 or true dual system.

Whether you go with a gutted cat or an after market exhaust is up to your wallet and performance expectations. The 2 into 1 are the most performance oriented, but the true duals (in my opinion) are the best sounding.
A new Harley is a blank canvas and your personality and expectations are what are important when you individualize your bike.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM
bigsmos
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a v&h fuelpak on mine after new pipes runs great now

Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM
gize
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep your describing a stage 1. And yes it is overwhelming. I gained a ton of info from the great people of these forums in getting mine setup. I ended up with a D&D fatcat exhaust and a big sucker type intake and power vision tuner from fuelmoto. My advice, research here so you know what your looking for, then call fuelmoto (their website is confusing if you don't know what your looking for) and they are great people to talk to that know what the hell they're talking about. My two cents: It's a thousand plus from your pocket so spend the time to get the right setup for you. And, yes, its worth it

Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mined the more air that goes through the engine, the more nosier the engine makes. If you remove the cat and leave the rest of it stock she runs pretty good with out the heat. So if you like the way she sounds don't mess with it to much.
That's my two-bits worth.
To keep up with me you'll need to dump about three thousand or more.
As you learn more the more you'll spend.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Easy; Fullsac sport pipe, Fuelmoto A/C, Power vision

Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sorry yes, i meant stage1

I would like true-duals i didnt realize it was available for my 14 RK. who makes the head pipe i need to buy?

So with SE2 slips, TrueDuals, and factory airbox .. what tuner do i need? or do i just need a download? do i do it, or does dealer do it?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:53 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
It sounds like you are really asking about a stage 1.

Slip ons are very personal. Depends on how loud you want to how much performance is your priority.
Tuner.. I would advise a TTS, Power Vision or the Harley flash tune.

Stage 1 is tuner, exhaust and breather.

The exhaust is the most individual part of the stage 1. Some like a 2 into 1, others 2:1:2 and some like me want a 2:2 or true dual system.

Whether you go with a gutted cat or an after market exhaust is up to your wallet and performance expectations. The 2 into 1 are the most performance oriented, but the true duals (in my opinion) are the best sounding.
A new Harley is a blank canvas and your personality and expectations are what are important when you individualize your bike.
Very good explanation. Agree completely.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:01 PM
gize
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the looks of a dual, but everything I read says a good 2 in 1 gives you more power. To each his own, just saying.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You can get a dummy pipe for the left side and it looks mostly the same as duals. The 2 in 1 will definitely pick you up down low as long as you have a good map on your tuner. If no tuner it will pop under hard acceleration. So will True duals. A good 2 in 1 in 2 such as the FM and Jackpot will be right there with the 2 in 1. If you have a good tune for the style of exhaust you are running it isn't as big a difference as it could be. Several after market manufacturers have good stage 1 kits that work fine together.

Quick Reply: Stage2 - for dummies