Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage1 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM
KruzzenKidd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage1 or not?

If one has a super tuner pro does one have to do a stage 1 download?when adding a new exhaust and air cleaner?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:35 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Most def yes.....and I used to be a staunch advocate against fuel management additions (whatever the choice is within reason) but since have learned there's no other way around it unless we can get into the ECM with a laptop like we can a PCV/PV etc. I'm not talking about XIED's, those raise the fuel map across the board which isn't necessary. A good map will not only increase fuel in key areas, but will also decrease fuel where needed.

Last edited by TUCCI; 02-23-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
KruzzenKidd
Intermediate

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHH was hoping to get away from dropping $200.00 give or take for harley to just have the bike for maybe 30 min.($150.00 just to download $68.00 labor and $75.00 for the stage1 map)

Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

So, do you have a super tuner????? If you've already dropped the cash on a tuner, doing a stage 1 download now would be like buying a corvette and then putting a 4 cyl engine in it. If you do have the tuner already, it can do so much more for your bike than just a stage 1 download. If you don't have a super tuner, the minimum a lot of people will do is the stage 1 download (kind of like buying a suit off the rack - looks better than a pair of jeans but not a perfect fit because it was designed to fit everyone in a size range). If you have a tuner and get the full tune (kind of like buying a custom made suit - will fit perfectly), the bike will run better because it will be properly adjusted for all parameters.

There are a ton of threads on here about the difference between XIED's , stage 1 downloads and full tunes - and everyone has strong opinions on them. Do some research and then make the best decision for you personally. In general, XIED is better than nothing, stage 1 is better than XIED, and a full tune is better than stage 1 (the million dollar question that has been beat to death is how much better one is than the other and do the results justify the cost for you personally). Don't ask a dealer, most will automatically default to the highest cost option (full tune) without truly informing you of the pros/cons of each method.

The good news - whether you go XIED, stage 1 download, or a full tune - you're not going to break your bike (doing nothing isn't really an option with exhaust and an air cleaner) . How much "better" one method is over the other and which tuner is the "best" have been argued on this forum in excruciating amounts of detail (that's a good thing). Look around the threads and then decide what's best for you. I'm partial to full tunes because the performance difference on my bikes is worth it to me - but that's just my opinion and we all know what people say about opinions.....

Good luck and ride safe

Old 02-23-2014, 03:45 PM
KruzzenKidd
Intermediate

Indeed I have the super tuner pro not the street tuner there is a dyno about 30 min from my house so thinking a dyno tune may be better way to go............thoughts?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there is some confusion here. If you have the super tuner pro then you do not want HD to do the stage one download. You want to tune the bike using the super tuner. You can do this by downloading the stage one map using the tuner and then smart tune the bike using the super tuner. Or just go get the bike tuned on the dyno again using the super tuner. This will give you the best map for your bike and mods. Now the question is do you have the stage one hardware on your bike? If not you could still have the bike tuned using the super tuner on the dyno and it will run better than stock but you won't get near the performance increase without the stage one hardware.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by KruzzenKidd
Indeed I have the super tuner pro not the street tuner there is a dyno about 30 min from my house so thinking a dyno tune may be better way to go............thoughts?
If you already thought about it then yes a dyno tune would be better for you.
the SE pro tuner will do the job, you have to decide if you want to take the time to DIY.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:33 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
If you have the super tuner pro then you do not want HD to do the stage one download. You want to tune the bike using the super tuner.....

What Webo said!!! Absolutely on the mark!!

Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I think there is some confusion here. If you have the super tuner pro then you do not want HD to do the stage one download. You want to tune the bike using the super tuner. You can do this by downloading the stage one map using the tuner and then smart tune the bike using the super tuner. Or just go get the bike tuned on the dyno again using the super tuner. This will give you the best map for your bike and mods. Now the question is do you have the stage one hardware on your bike? If not you could still have the bike tuned using the super tuner on the dyno and it will run better than stock but you won't get near the performance increase without the stage one hardware.
Ya can download a stage 1 map with the super tuner. Waste of time & money getting the dealer download!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM
KruzzenKidd
Intermediate

Ok dyno tune it is and as soon as the COLD weather goes away I'll have new head pipes,mufflers,A/C installed(DIY)thoughts on slip-ons?Looking at screaming eaglestreet cannon or thunder street.

Thanks
Kruzz

Quick Reply: Stage1 or not?