Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of dealer installing wild 1's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014 | 12:01 PM
gize
|
Cruiser
Default Cost of dealer installing wild 1's

I swear this forum and you guys cost me so much money haha.

So after reading a multitude of posts about apes, I think I am going to get some for a more comfortable ride. I called the dealer and asked them how much to do the install if I bring the bars in (12.5 wild 1's). One dealer told me $1000 and the other dealer told me $350 if they didn't have to change cables and near $1k if they did. Wow! Is this a fair price? I know there is a lot of work when extending the cables, which is why my non mechanic self is not going there.. (I changed out my stock radio but thats about as far as I'm pushing my abilities haha)

Old 02-22-2014 | 12:04 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

That price is typical for a dealer if they are changing the cables. I do it for half that but you aren't very close...

Old 02-22-2014 | 12:06 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by gize
I swear this forum and you guys cost me so much money haha. So after reading a multitude of posts about apes, I think I am going to get some for a more comfortable ride. I called the dealer and asked them how much to do the install if I bring the bars in (12.5 wild 1's). One dealer told me $1000 and the other dealer told me $350 if they didn't have to change cables and near $1k if they did. Wow! Is this a fair price? I know there is a lot of work when extending the cables, which is why my non mechanic self is not going there.. (I changed out my stock radio but thats about as far as I'm pushing my abilities haha)
sounds about right. I think 8 hours labor is the standard. So times that by the hourly rate and add parts and you are in the 1k or more range

Old 02-22-2014 | 12:09 PM
gize
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
That price is typical for a dealer if they are changing the cables. I do it for half that but you aren't very close...
Damn you haha, quit teasing me. Might have to bite the bullet, good thing I'm getting a tax return. But from what I have read it should be well worth it.

Old 02-22-2014 | 05:22 PM
gotwages
Tourer

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
sounds about right. I think 8 hours labor is the standard. So times that by the hourly rate and add parts and you are in the 1k or more range
That's one thing that drives me nuts about dealers, 8 hours??? One would think how often they do this, they are quite proficient at it bc it only takes me 4-6 and I have only done 8 or so sets. Damn stealerships.

Old 02-22-2014 | 08:15 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

Installing bars is not that hard of a job , it's surely not worth a 1000 bux Set aside a day and do it yourself save that money for future mods. There a a lot of info and videos out there to help. You can do it

Old 02-23-2014 | 06:20 PM
superman70
Road Captain

Me and my wife put a.set of ergo back bars on my 12 SG. She cut the harness and did all of the soldering for me. I didn't like the feel so the next day we took it all back apart. She cut the harness again and took out all of the extensions and soldered it all back together. I think I'll try some 10 inch monkey bars next. We've got 4 bikes and she says she's tired of musical bars so I only get 1 more chance. Get a manual and Google you'll do fine.

Old 02-23-2014 | 06:38 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gotwages
That's one thing that drives me nuts about dealers, 8 hours??? One would think how often they do this, they are quite proficient at it bc it only takes me 4-6 and I have only done 8 or so sets. Damn stealerships.
Dealers (cars or bikes) work the same. They have a "book" that outlines how many hours each job takes. That's what they charge. A good mechanic can do jobs faster than book time, but the charge by the book. Say he does a tire replacement in 30 minutes, but book time is 1.2 hours. The dealer (and many shops, by the way) charge you the full 1.2 hour rate. He gets paid for 1.2 hours, too. If he can do 2 of these jobs, he (and the dealer) make 2x book. So no, it won't take a dealer 8 hours to do a handlebar job. But they do get to charge you that. And again, it's not just the dealers. All but the smallest shops will do the same, but the indies' hourly rate will be less.

Old 02-23-2014 | 06:39 PM
doc ock
Road Master

Originally Posted by gotwages
The book says it takes 8 hours, that's what they charge. A good mechanic can probably do it in 4-5 hours. That is how the dealers make money.

Old 02-23-2014 | 11:19 PM
njhonker
Tourer

yup....my bars are supposed to be here Tuesday or Wednesday...I'm trying to install myself....hope I don't mess anything up...I don't won't to be without a bike for Daytona

Quick Reply: Cost of dealer installing wild 1's