Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of dealer installing wild 1's

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014 | 11:50 PM
Redwood Road King
Intermediate

My indie put my 14" Chubbies on for $350. Cables, extensions and turn signal relocation kit were extra, of course (also added cruise control and chrome switch housings - figured while we were at it why not). I originally called the dealership where I bought my bike and they quoted me $1200 for labor alone.

Old 02-26-2014 | 08:43 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gize
Anyone know a good a walk through for doing this on a 2012 SG? I watched one on YouTube with some random Harley and the dude opened up nearly everything on the Harley that holds liquid and was soldering stuff.. It freaked me out and thats when I called around for stealer quotes.
It's what you have to do to get it right - and yes, it freaked me out, too.

This is why I visited my dealership, then three (3) independent owner/operators, before making up my mind.

Bad things can happen if you don't this right, and I'm now at an age where I don't want to be bothered with the details.

Open the phone book, call and visit a few local independents, and give your business to the one who gets you.

Old 02-26-2014 | 09:01 AM
TNCarters
Road Master

Did my bars on my 2011 Limited. Was not a lot of fun but I learned a lot. Dealer had quoted me 7 hours plus new clutch and brake lines for a 10" bar. Ended up only needing a clutch cable. The biggest problem was the electrical connectors and getting the switch back together. I was lucky and able to get to the trans side cover for clutch cable without removing head pipe. In hindsight his quote was not unreasonable as it took me 12 hours but I'm slow when doing something the first time. Since this I had a local Indy quote me 6 hours at a reduced rate plus materials. May use him next time.

Old 02-26-2014 | 09:09 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Did it in a friend's garage on my Limited....Took us all day to do it. After that experience I decided it was worth the money to have someone else do it.

Haven't gotten the final bill yet but the labor should be around $400. My time and frustration are worth that money.

Old 02-26-2014 | 09:10 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TNCarters
Did my bars on my 2011 Limited. Was not a lot of fun but I learned a lot.

In hindsight his quote was not unreasonable as it took me 12 hours but I'm slow when doing something the first time. Since this I had a local Indy quote me 6 hours at a reduced rate plus materials. May use him next time.
From your lips to God's ears, brother!

Old 02-26-2014 | 10:36 AM
PackersShirt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gize
I swear this forum and you guys cost me so much money haha.

So after reading a multitude of posts about apes, I think I am going to get some for a more comfortable ride. I called the dealer and asked them how much to do the install if I bring the bars in (12.5 wild 1's). One dealer told me $1000 and the other dealer told me $350 if they didn't have to change cables and near $1k if they did. Wow! Is this a fair price? I know there is a lot of work when extending the cables, which is why my non mechanic self is not going there.. (I changed out my stock radio but thats about as far as I'm pushing my abilities haha)
Those labor numbers are consistent with what the dealer told me. Lots of times I think paying someone so that I'm not aggravated is worth it, but in this case screw it, I'm going to do it myself even if it takes a month. I had some chrome cash from Visa so I paid them to put in the upgraded speakers and amp in my '12 and when I opened it up to remove that stuff before trading, it was clear they were not nearly as conscientious as I would have been. One of the speaker adaptors was busted from overtightening and a non-matching screw jammed into the hole, which is ironic because stripping threads is my specialty.

Old 02-26-2014 | 11:41 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Is doesn't take that long. What I did was, break the bike down one day ( about an hour) I brought the bars inside and ran the wires at my kitchen table while drinking beer. It took about 4 hours to do and that was walking away a couple times....to get another beer and chill. Then the next day I put the bars on and out everything back together. All together it took two days but a total of about 8 hours. That was without cutting and soldering wires. If I had to do it again it would take a lot less time now that I know how to do it.

Old 02-26-2014 | 12:12 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior

The dealership where I live quoted me that it would take 8 hours as well. Luckily for me, I took it to my friend and he did it for $250. It's not what you know, it's who you know...

Old 02-26-2014 | 02:10 PM
WillyD
Tourer

On my Road King with no fairing of course...

Pulled apart...30 minutes
Wired bars....30 minutes
left side controls...20 minutes
Right side controls...Tried to use my stock brake line and throttle cables...no go....spent an hour...ordered brake line and cables.

Replaced throttle cables (involved pulling the tank and I added the quick coupler for the crossover) and replaced the front brake line. Adjusted throttle cables and bled brake line and put everything back together in about 2:30 minutes..

so all together around 5 hours...WO515 bars...bought the wire kit off ebay (had to extend) and my local dealer ordered my cables and brake line for me. Minimal tools required...I am happy with them..

Old 02-26-2014 | 03:40 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Somewhere on the forum I read an interesting alternative. Not sure how many dealers would do this. Guy disassembled everything himself but did not want to fool with electrical connectors and pulling wire so he took new bars and everything to a dealer and dealer wired the bars for him for a small fee. He took it home and put everything back together.

Quick Reply: Cost of dealer installing wild 1's