Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove clutch adjustment bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014 | 01:58 AM
BenRK05
|
Tourer
Default How to remove clutch adjustment bolt.

A friend of mine bought a used bike. He brought it to me so I can services it for him. The problem that I am having is with the clutch adjustment bolt. The prior owner tighten the bolt way to tight. I have not been able to loosen it using a wrench or socket. The rear wheel and engine just turns over. Would you think it would be ok to use a breaker bar or a air gun? Or any ideas on what I should try? Thanks guy.

Old 02-21-2014 | 02:25 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have a deep angled box end wrench, you can whack it with a hammer and usually that will knock it loose. Otherwise I guess a 3/8" drive air impact would be the next best thing. Hope they didn't destroy the bolt and plate.

Old 02-21-2014 | 03:45 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

air impacts should not be used on the comp sprocket or the clutch.

in the first case, the magnets can be knocked off the rotor, destroying the stator ( and requiring the comp removed yet again.

if used on the clutch nut, the shifting mechanism in the tranny can be damaged

use hand tools, lock the primary with a block, the jam tool described in the manual, or even a cotton rag jammed into the teeth of the sprocket/chain.

tranny in neutral

breaker bar should do it.

( the clutch adjustment lock nut IS right hand thread, the clutch nut is left hand thread)

mike

Old 02-21-2014 | 03:56 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
air impacts should not be used on the comp sprocket or the clutch.

in the first case, the magnets can be knocked off the rotor, destroying the stator ( and requiring the comp removed yet again.

if used on the clutch nut, the shifting mechanism in the tranny can be damaged

use hand tools, lock the primary with a block, the jam tool described in the manual, or even a cotton rag jammed into the teeth of the sprocket/chain.

tranny in neutral

breaker bar should do it.

( the clutch adjustment lock nut IS right hand thread, the clutch nut is left hand thread)

mike
That's all great if he has the primary cover off, I am guessing he does not. A quick hit with the impact should not knock magnets off or destroy the stator or destroy the clutch rod. Just back off the clutch cable adjustment all the way first and have the transmission in neutral. The plate with the adjustment bolt can be removed by removing the snap ring holding it in. Just don't lose the ring into the primary or you will be removing the cover. Once removed you can mount the plate in a vise to work on it easier, but you should not have to do that.

Old 02-21-2014 | 07:41 AM
Tech Slap
Cruiser

before I bought the stepped block (as recommended by the factory) I used a soft wooden or rubber door stop....and a quick finger on the trigger of a 3/8 impact gun should not cause any problems ( a very knowledgeable indy recommended it to tighten the clutch hub (left hand nut) difficult to get the torque wrench on it if possible at all...by no means trigger the gun for any more than a millisecond....or as quick as you can...

Old 02-21-2014 | 07:55 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Handheld impact driver worked for me with few light taps.

Last edited by acchd; 02-21-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2014 | 01:31 PM
BenRK05
|
Tourer

Thanks guy for the great idea's. I have deep angled box wrenches to try. If I need to I can remove the primary cover. On this model It has a primary chain service/inspection door. I could stick a towel or block in there. I will resort to the impact gun as a last resort. Thanks guys.

Old 02-21-2014 | 02:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

should be able to leave the cover on, but if you need extra room for tools remove it.

if really stuck, a chisel...and a new nut.

Mike

Old 02-21-2014 | 02:14 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter
That's all great if he has the primary cover off, I am guessing he does not. A quick hit with the impact should not knock magnets off or destroy the stator or destroy the clutch rod. Just back off the clutch cable adjustment all the way first and have the transmission in neutral. The plate with the adjustment bolt can be removed by removing the snap ring holding it in. Just don't lose the ring into the primary or you will be removing the cover. Once removed you can mount the plate in a vise to work on it easier, but you should not have to do that.
I second that

Old 02-21-2014 | 05:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Have someone step on the rear brake while you give the wrench or socket a good pop.

Quick Reply: How to remove clutch adjustment bolt.