Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coolers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:42 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil Coolers???

The manual valve that comes with the Jagg coolers is a good thing. Bypass the cooler in cold weather and open the oilflow to the cooler in hot weather.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fandango6
Great post and an eye opener. I am running a cooler and just recently installed a oil temp guage in place of the air temp unit. What do you guys think about fabricating a cover to block air to the front of hte cooler during the kool months
If you have a thermostat (and it is working) you shouldn't need one. I fabricated a cover for my HD cooler, which has a thermostat, because I believe there is some seapage past the thermostat even when the oil is cold. I found that it made no noticeable difference in this case. However, if you don't have a thermostat, you should block the air flow on cool days. Some coolers have "bras" or "socks" that fit over the coolers, usually optional at extra cost, and if I had one of these coolers I would consider buying and using one. Or...

Lowrider's suggestion of using a manual bypass valve, like those sold by Jagg, is a good one. I think this is a better solution than the "sock" method.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had planned to install a cooler on my 06 Ultra as I plan to keep it a long time. I run Mobil 1 vtwin 20w50 oil. I put a oil temp gauge on this winter and noted that the oil was only getting to 170-180 at best. I also have the LED dipsick and they both agreed the oil was running cool in winter temps.

At Bike Week this year, I got caught in heavy stop and go traffic trying to get into the Cabbage Patch. My bike went into both first stage and second stage heat management mode, but the oil temp gauge ran right at 230 degrees, exactly what HD says the oil should run at. I confirmed it several times with the dipstick gauge, which showed a high of 236, not a problem. While the motor was definately hot and runs rough in the heat management mode, it evidently does a good job of keeping oil temps in check. I'm going to keep an eye on the temperature this summer and decide later but for now, it looks like the tc88 does a good job of controlling oil temps.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,733 Likes on 1,260 Posts

I am happy with my Jag cooler with thermostat.

http://www.hogs4sale.com/online_stor...p;p-cycles.htm

1999-2007 Twin Cam® Models Offset Oil Filter Adapter with Automatic Thermostat

Allows for easy access of oil supply for installation of oil coolers on all Twin Cam 88â„¢ models from 1999-2007. Allows oil to flow through the oil filter before cooling the oil resulting in less oil restriction and also contains an integrated automatic thermostatic actuator which insures that rapid engine warm-up and then actuates at 180 F. to ensure bike always operates within a comfortable oil temperature range. Made in the USA.

[/align]

Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock no, but 95", cams, porting and pushing that HP and TQ should require one. Just tell me why the MoCo feels it necessary to install them on all SE's?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:05 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,733 Likes on 1,260 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2005UltraNC

Stock no, but 95", cams, porting and pushing that HP and TQ should require one. Just tell me why the MoCo feels it necessary to install them on all SE's?

One word....PROFIT.
If they want to justify high price they need to have options.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dstockton

I had planned to install a cooler on my 06 Ultra as I plan to keep it a long time. I run Mobil 1 vtwin 20w50 oil. I put a oil temp gauge on this winter and noted that the oil was only getting to 170-180 at best. I also have the LED dipsick and they both agreed the oil was running cool in winter temps.

At Bike Week this year, I got caught in heavy stop and go traffic trying to get into the Cabbage Patch. My bike went into both first stage and second stage heat management mode, but the oil temp gauge ran right at 230 degrees, exactly what HD says the oil should run at. I confirmed it several times with the dipstick gauge, which showed a high of 236, not a problem. While the motor was definately hot and runs rough in the heat management mode, it evidently does a good job of keeping oil temps in check. I'm going to keep an eye on the temperature this summer and decide later but for now, it looks like the tc88 does a good job of controlling oil temps.
Just an fyi that Harley removed the 3-stage heat management system with the '07 models. There is an optionaldownload available that will shut down the rear cylinder under certain conditions. HD will offer one free download and one free uninstall if you want to check it out.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:39 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Speaking of oil coolers - those that have them - can you hear the thermostat click open?? Mine is more a loud "clank" sound. First time, I thought I ran over something.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 AM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a thermostat but put a cover on in cooler weather.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:42 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

ultranc- After installing I let bike warm up in garage and sat theretil oil cooler got warm and did not hear any noise. this took around ten minutes and concluded thermistat was working

Quick Reply: Oil Coolers???