Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coolers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Fandango6
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Coolers???

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

Oil coolers canbe a liabilityVs an assetif not working properly and many may not be working properly. The case in point is, until I installed an oil temp guage I was happy with my cooler, ignorance was bliss. After installing the gauge I realized that my oil temp could not reach 150 deg F even during agressive driving in 80 deg air temps, typically read below 130 deg F. I pulled the cooler's thermostatic valve, tested it in boiling water and as predictied,it failed the test. Thisis so remenescent of when I used such devices on my performance cars, these valves do not last long and in this case, the cooler was decreasing engine longgevity.

Worse yet,HD does not sell replacement parts for oil coolers, meaning that you have to buy a complete replacement cooling system for a common thermostaticvalve failure.

Lessons learned by me again (I'm obviously a slow learner). Do not use an cooler unless you know for sure you need one, one more thing togo wrong. Do not use anoil cooler without an oil temp guage so you know if the cooler is functioning properly, not too cold or too hot. Too cool is as bad as too hot,very important to keep your oil temps within there proper operating range, not too cold or too hot, like 200-250 deg F, IMHO.

For me, no more HD coolers if thery don't sell replacement parts.
Great post and an eye opener. I am running a cooler and just recently installed a oil temp guage in place of the air temp unit. What do you guys think about fabricating a cover to block air to the front of hte cooler during the kool months

Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

imo Will just do the manuel-feel test more often after reading this post. thanks for getting me paronoid about something else. lol

Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Now you got me thinking about a Jegg cooler with a H/D oilfilter/t.stat. Does Jagg make a cover for their cooler or would it look good in chrome on an ultra? I,m thinking out loud again....

Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 AM
pino56
Advanced

Will covering the cooler in cold temps make any difference? When ambient temperature drops wouldn't the thermosthat just close, therefore oil circulates in engine only? Isn't that the purpose of the thermosthat?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:29 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

You can buy the adapter only (#26154-07), where the thermostat resides, for the '07 version (#26155-07) of the cooler for about $70 from Chicago HD. Check your instruction sheet for a breakdown of parts available, as on mine almost every part of the cooler kit is available for separate purchase.
iclick, THANK YOU,youmade my day, I spentalmost an hour with the parts man at the dealership yesterdaygoing thru old and new parts books looking for those numbers to no avail. Ipurchased the bike used and did not get the instruction sheet. I am going to order a couple of those adaptors unless I can find a scource for just the thermostat. Do you, or anyone have the PN for the two hoses also?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run a JAGG vertical mount behind my lower fairing all year long. Got 30K on it and it holds a solid 180. It has a thermostat but I also close the lower fairing in colder weather.

Jagg did make the Premium one for HD but MOCO went to a cheaper MFG in the spring of 2006.

Vertical mount eliminate the road debris for MOCO's in front of the regulator.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

hmmm....i'd think usin a cooler even if it just free circulated would be better'n nothin...the washer trick was always just a way of allowin the cooler alittle more time to cool than a free flow deal

i'd love to see your turbo setup....got any pics
If I can't get my oil temps over 200 deg, I should not be using such a high viscosity oil, I'm doing more harm then good with my cooler, IMHO. Many racers use washers,partiallyblock coolers with tape etc to getcoolants and oilsupto within aspecific temperature range whereengine efficiancy and longevity are at their greatest. With their very effecient coolers that work well on the hottest race day of the season, they have more trouble getting temps high enough on the cooler days or nights of the season.

Someday, if I evertake the time to figure outthis forum's picture transfer routine out, I'll post some.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pino56

Will covering the cooler in cold temps make any difference? When ambient temperature drops wouldn't the thermosthat just close, therefore oil circulates in engine only? Isn't that the purpose of the thermosthat?
Covering does make a difference, I've noticed that while stopped my oil temps start climbing but when moving they go way too low again. Rather then chrome covers, maybe HD should make a functional cover. Purpose of thermostat, you are correctassuming the thermostat if functioning. From my personal experiance using many thermostatically controlled oil coolers in the past, these thermostats are a high failure item,like my current situation with my Harley now.I'm starting to wonder if I even need a cooler andif I don't need one, who does?Is after market mechandising hypeagaincausing us to solve a problem that doesn't exist and create new ones? Running too cold of20W/50 oil doesn't sound good to me anyway. The more is better syndrome is not always better with most things.There are very few mods thatwe make where wedon't have to be willing to give up something in order to gain something, besides money.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

I'm starting to wonder if I even need a cooler andif I don't need one, who does?Is after market mechandising hypeagaincausing us to solve a problem that doesn't exist and create new ones? Running too cold of20W/50 oil doesn't sound good to me anyway. The more is better syndrome is not always better with most things.There are very few mods thatwe make where wedon't have to be willing to give up something in order to gain something, besides money.
You may be right....I was reading old posts on oil coolers a couple of weeks ago and came across a post from a guy in Phoenix....he said he doesn't use an oil cooler and none of his buddies use them either.....if you don't need one in Phoenix, you probably don't need one anywhere.....food for thought!

Karl

Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

I finally got it!Just figured out why in the hell HD does not put oil temp guages on bikes as standard equipment. They don't want us to know that we don't need oil coolers. Clever, I'm buying more HOG stocks.

Quick Reply: Oil Coolers???