Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running bike engine during winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 AM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running bike engine during winter

I definitely keep the battery charged with the battery tender but I am wondering how many of you start your bike and let it run for 10-15 minutes every few weeks while it sits all winter long? Is this good to do to keep things "lubricated well" and beneficial for the engine? Seems like a bike sitting for months with the engine never being cranked up would not be good. Thanks for your opinions. Winter sucks by the way. Come on spring.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 AM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Best to let it sit and not start it till your ready to ride for the season.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If your parked in a heated garage great but sitting in the cold especially this stinking winter I would never even think of starting my bike. 20/50wt. oil is a bit much to be cranking on.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not be worried about the bike sitting for 3 or 4 months without running it. I've heard it's worse to run it and not get it hot enough, because that will leave condensation in the system, e.g, that chocolate-milky-looking futz that collects around the dipstick.

Just change the oil after the winter, before starting up, and turn it over a few seconds without starting it before you fire it up in the Spring.

Alan

Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Strarting a bike like that without actually riding it 15 miles or so will allow the condensation build up. Just make sure it's hooked up to a tender and leave it alone until you are ready to actually ride it.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 AM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
Strarting a bike like that without actually riding it 15 miles or so will allow the condensation build up. Just make sure it's hooked up to a tender and leave it alone until you are ready to actually ride it.
Thanks guys for the great info. All of your points make good sense and I didn't think about the condensation issue. This is my first winter with my 2009 Ultra Classic and unfortunately it has been a long winter for me as it has been for many. I will just let it sit until I can start riding. This is why I love this forum. Quick, good and helpful answers.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Condensation can even be a issue in the summer if you just take short trips and do not let the motor get to full operating temperature before shutting it down.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Boost
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
I am wondering how many of you start your bike and let it run for 10-15 minutes every few weeks while it sits all winter long? Is this good to do to keep things "lubricated well" and beneficial for the engine
I crank my bikes almost daily just to hear them run. love that sound ………

I have let my bikes sit for over a year in storage while on deployments and have not had and issue (YET). I could just be lucky though…..

Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
I would not be worried about the bike sitting for 3 or 4 months without running it. I've heard it's worse to run it and not get it hot enough, because that will leave condensation in the system, e.g, that chocolate-milky-looking futz that collects around the dipstick.

Just change the oil after the winter, before starting up, and turn it over a few seconds without starting it before you fire it up in the Spring.

Alan
Change the oil before storage (oil gets acidic with use - you don't want old oil in her for storage) then run it to full operating temp and put it away for the winter - come spring, check tire pressure, suspension pressure fire her up and ride.
A few extras that I do in the spring before riding, siphon the old gas out of tank, into the container for the lawn mower, ride 1/2 mile to station and fill it up with fresh and, I remove my outer fairing and clean out mouse nest - ask me how I know to do this.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 AM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost
I crank my bikes almost daily just to hear them run. love that sound ………

I have let my bikes sit for over a year in storage while on deployments and have not had and issue (YET). I could just be lucky though…..
Yea not hearing that Procharger run might be a bit much to ask.

Quick Reply: Running bike engine during winter