Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running bike engine during winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile No storage here!

Thankfully, here in east texas there are plenty of winter days that are warm enough for a fun ride (even in this bad *** winter). There is no reason for me to store the bike cause I can get in enough riding to keep every thing in good shape.
I don't know about twinkies, but my EVO has oil pressure after 2 kicks, whether the engine starts or not.
When I lived in Chicago, many years ago, I would put a 100 watt bulb under the crankcase at night. Worked pretty good, atleast I could easily kick it in freezing weather.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM
dougyf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Starting up in winter

Everyone has their opinion on this. What I do in the northeast is put stabil in the tank in December, keep a battery tender attached & once a month or so take it for a 10-12 mile ride when & if the temp gets above 32 & there's not too much Salt on the roads. This winter has been particularly difficult to do this, but I have been able to by choosing the right day. I definitely wouldn't start the bike & run it without riding it. It's better to get all the fluids heated up & moving. I have been doing this for 30 years in Harley's & metric sport bikes with no ill effects.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

....just go sit on it and make vroom vroom sounds.

Spring is just aroung the corner.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

True that this is one of the coldest Winters, for an extended period, that we've had here, but it's still not that bad. You can ride most of this next week even if you want to. Plug in the tender and leave it alone. The only time I'd worry about changing oil, and all that other stuff is if it was going to sit for three or four months straight. Our winters aren't that bad. And don't start it just to run it for a few minutes. If you're not going to get it out and let it heat up good, leave it alone. Won't hurt a thing.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:05 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
True that this is one of the coldest Winters, for an extended period, that we've had here, but it's still not that bad. You can ride most of this next week even if you want to. Plug in the tender and leave it alone. The only time I'd worry about changing oil, and all that other stuff is if it was going to sit for three or four months straight. Our winters aren't that bad. And don't start it just to run it for a few minutes. If you're not going to get it out and let it heat up good, leave it alone. Won't hurt a thing.
Thanks everyone as this thread has been very helpful for me. I had the oil changed in November for the 20,000 service and did ride the bike for about 40 miles 6 weeks ago. So this makes me reassured that sitting for 6-8 weeks without running is not an issue to worry about. Danny, I am going to try and get the big hog out tomorrow. Finally a reasonably warm weekend here. I am still ready for spring. Thanks guys.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Change the oil before storage, but some Stabil in the gas tank, put it on a battery tender and leave it alone until you can ride it.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:27 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I never put mine away for winter. As long as the roads are clear I ride. Just make sure to give the bike a good washing to get the salt off.