Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide new bars in my future

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 AM
gize
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street glide new bars in my future

So I've been reading a lot of posts lately on "apes" and how comfortable they are and it got my gears turnin. I am 6'1 with long arms and long legs, and I can agree all too well with the mid back pain between the shoulder blades and lower neck pain with stock handle bars.

Is there a good chance some apes will make riding more comfortable?

I've got a 12 street glide with stock bars. I have my seat shipping to meancitycycles to have my position moved back an inch and add memory foam of course. I think I might also get some new bars to complete the comfort package (already have highway pegs that let me sprawl). I don't want to go extreme with my arms pointing up into the sky, so I have been looking around for some 14" bars but I admit I don't know what exactly I'm looking for on the right size and compatibility etc.. so I am asking for help. (done several searches on sg and apes but I get a million random threads with tiny chunks of info or no info)

Having said all this, those of you with a fairing on your bike that like the look of the bars not going too much higher than the fairing, what would you suggest I go with for quality and over all comfort? Any advice on what I should look for or be aware of? Your input is appreciated!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want to check out Wild 1 Chubby bagger bars (1.25" diameter). They make all kinds of bars and all sizes. Bagger bars are made for bikes with fairings. They have many pictures on their website of customers bikes after their bars were installed. Their website really helped me. Web address below.

www.Wild1inc.com

Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

If your just getting started looking at apes , take your time and do lots of research. Your only gonna want to do this once. Apes are very subjective and will fit each rider differently. Height, width, pullback, and wrist angle all need to go into consideration when shopping for bars. I'd suggest going to your dealer and looking over his inventory of new and used bikes that have apes installed. Sit on em and get a feel for them and ask questions. Maybe go to bike night or even rally's and talk to the owners and again, ask lots of questions. I wish I could tell you hey this is what I have and it'll work great for you but that's not always the case. The bars really need to fit you or you'll never reap the benefits from them.

2010 Limited with some stuff

The following users liked this post:
83_FLHS (03-28-2017)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM
gize
Cruiser

Thanks guys, very sound advice, the dealerships seem like they are always so busy but I will look around at bikes that might have them pre-installed, maybe in the rental section eh? Also one-up, thanks for the link, that should help me visualize different heights. From what I've seen the 14" is about as high as I would go, hopefully that is high enough to make it comfortable.

Half the fun is researching and feeling like you have found the perfect upgrade right?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM
maryvillept
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want them over the fairing then 10 is all you want. I'm 6'1 and they are below my shoulders if rotated back a hair or if all the way stretched out to fairing then at shoulder height. Very comfy for me. I don't like the looks of then over the fairing. Just my 2 cents. I have the 10" yaffe mbb fyi.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
gize
Cruiser

After looking at the wild1's website as far as looks go, I am now thinking 12.5" so I am going to try and find a bike to see how those feel.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Take a look at the Heli Bars

https://www.helibars.com/product/hor...-system-chrome

Fully adjustable. Adjust pull back and wrist angle.

They are a bit pricy but so are our bikes. I had them installed in Sturgis while I went to the local watering hole.

I have a couple buddies who have changed their bars 3 times because they are not right yet.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM
ejwmiller
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you go over 10" get ready to spend some cash. Bars, Clutch cable, Throttle cables, unless to have fly by wire. Extensions for your controls such as turn signals, and all that. But you may have extra tucked in the bikes wiring from the factory I don't know. I went with 10" and the brake line just did work. But comfort counts so you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck and have fun .

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It appears 10", arms will block the mirrors, if equipped on inside of fairing. Am I seeing that correct?

If so, what might be the min height, so as not to block those fairing mirrors?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by riderideride
It appears 10", arms will block the mirrors, if equipped on inside of fairing. Am I seeing that correct? If so, what might be the min height, so as not to block those fairing mirrors?
You can get by with 12's but it's close.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Quick Reply: Street glide new bars in my future