Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating DYI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having an oven doesn't mean you have to get a full size kitchen range. If you are just doing small parts, a toaster oven from Goodwill works just as good and is easy to store. Then there is the apartment size stove. Not as big but then again also not as big either.

Try starting off with the $100 HF unit and a toaster oven. Have some fun and move up as you want to.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:50 AM
x1rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I posted on the subject in a different thread:

Good job!
I tried powdercoating myself in 2009, since I live in the middle of nowhere DIY was pretty much the only way to go. I did my whole SG in flat black.
Here is a pic of the 4x4x4 oven I fabricated, 18600 watts of oven elements, runs on two 220v outlets. If you really enjoy DIY powdercoating, fabricating a big oven might be a future project for you.
BTW, I've tried both, just scuffing and sandblasting the chrome with aluminum oxide, and sandblasting is longer lasting.

I got a gun from Caswell Plating, not the best but does the job.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The eastwood systems are very good. If you enjoy working in the garage, it's worth the money. Get the biggest oven you can. Once you start coating, you're friends are all going to want their stuff done! This could pay for your gun or at least keep your fridge stocked. Try shooting eastwood's translucent colors over some chrome (don't sandblast) you then have very shiny color!

Happy Motoring!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Yeah I understand the investment, time consuming vs saving the money. I don't powder coat that often if not ever, but I was wondering if a cheaper alternative would be an option. I may end up just paying to get the work done and be done, figure time, investment, equipment, etc will require a lot of homework. I love doing things myself but when they are convenient to do. For example, just recently I drove for 2 hours to pick up a Snow Thrower from a Sears outlet store, when I got home after driving 5 hours total in bad weather, came to find out that the POS machine didn't work. My fiancé told me that I should of just paid the $69 for delivery instead, lol and avoid the hassles. I spent $42 to fill up my tank thank God for Diesel cars and another $32 in tools to assemble the darn thing... Do the math!
Well, there's your answer...I think you'd be better off just having it done... I would also guess that your first attempts won't come close to pro grade... I think I may be in the same situation you are in some ways, although restoring/painting cars/trucks/bikes is something I've done all my adult life, so adding powdercoating to the mix would be right up my alley...but I won't, because I don't think PC is better than good quality automotive paint, and I live close enough to a chrome shop that does powder coat to make it worth my while... getting set up for PC is, as others have pointed out, a sizable investment in time and equipment...that large home made oven is VERY impressive, but it's clear that there's a few hundred bux invested in it, if it's used frequently, good use of time, money, and space. I would have to be using such a thing all the time to make it worthwhile for me, and I'm not talking freebies for my pals.

So, I think you, OP, would be better off probably just relying on the pros in your case, although I do respect your desire to DIY!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Highlux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Well, there's your answer...I think you'd be better off just having it done... I would also guess that your first attempts won't come close to pro grade... I think I may be in the same situation you are in some ways, although restoring/painting cars/trucks/bikes is something I've done all my adult life, so adding powdercoating to the mix would be right up my alley...but I won't, because I don't think PC is better than good quality automotive paint, and I live close enough to a chrome shop that does powder coat to make it worth my while... getting set up for PC is, as others have pointed out, a sizable investment in time and equipment...that large home made oven is VERY impressive, but it's clear that there's a few hundred bux invested in it, if it's used frequently, good use of time, money, and space. I would have to be using such a thing all the time to make it worthwhile for me, and I'm not talking freebies for my pals.

So, I think you, OP, would be better off probably just relying on the pros in your case, although I do respect your desire to DIY!

Your nuts if you think "good automotive paint" is as durable as powder coat. I suggest 5 minutes of Google research.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Highlux
Your nuts if you think "good automotive paint" is as durable as powder coat. I suggest 5 minutes of Google research.
Pard, I've been painting for over fifty years...I suggest you get a little experience under your belt before you start telling me all about it.

Mil spec is something different. The run of the mill PC is pretty much just as durable as well prepped and applied paint. All PC is is a different way to apply paint.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Highlux
Tourer

Pard, I've been painting for over fifty years...I suggest you get a little experience under your belt before you start telling me all about it.

Mil spec is something different. The run of the mill PC is pretty much just as durable as well prepped and applied paint. All PC is is a different way to apply paint.
I think you may have inhaled a little too much fumes then...

Name a paint that is as chemical resistant as powder coat.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

I think you may have inhaled a little too much fumes then...

Name a paint that is as chemical resistant as powder coat.
You know, bucko, I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest here...judging from your response to another gentleman a few moments ago, I'd just say you got up on the wrong side of the stall today. Believe me, don't believe me, I've been hands on involved with this stuff for many years, and you don't have to believe me about that either.

If you think that powder coating is better, and the Interweb tells you so, wonderful, believe it if you want. I've tried both, others that I know have tried both, and we all come back to paint in the end. What you believe matters not to me. I've done it, made my own opinions by DOING, I don't just go on the web and become an instant expert.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Highlux
Tourer

You know, bucko, I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest here...judging from your response to another gentleman a few moments ago, I'd just say you got up on the wrong side of the stall today. Believe me, don't believe me, I've been hands on involved with this stuff for many years, and you don't have to believe me about that either.

If you think that powder coating is better, and the Interweb tells you so, wonderful, believe it if you want. I've tried both, others that I know have tried both, and we all come back to paint in the end. What you believe matters not to me. I've done it, made my own opinions by DOING, I don't just go on the web and become an instant expert.
You made a claim...simply back it up. Otherwise you are talking out of your ***. Simple as that. Powder coat was developed to be more resistant than paint. Simple fact. It's way tougher. IM not trying to argue with you...just making sure someone doesnt read your misinformation and take it as fact.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

You made a claim...simply back it up. Otherwise you are talking out of your ***. Simple as that. Powder coat was developed to be more resistant than paint. Simple fact. It's way tougher. IM not trying to argue with you...just making sure someone doesnt read your misinformation and take it as fact.
Sure, you're trying to argue...I don't care if you believe me or not. I learned by doing...not by free info on the Internet. I've found that free info is generally worth every dime. So, with that, I'll let you surf the net and tell us ALL about it! And those of us who have actually learned by experience and getting the job done will let YOU be the expert!

Quick Reply: Powder Coating DYI?