Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddlebag guards on street glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014 | 11:56 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member

i think they look good, i dont own a pair but would pick some up off ebay one day

Old 02-11-2014 | 04:09 AM
Klinger
Cruiser
Default Not sure

I tried chrome guards (off my Road king) on my Black Pearl 06 Street Glide and it looked terrible, so I thought it always would look terrible on them all. Now I've seen a couple of color matched ones I take it all back. It was the chrome that didn't go with the bike, not the guards.

One thing anyone doing this will have to remember is you can't just fit the guards. You need to replace the bag support rails as well. The guard and support rail fit fine because the touring chassis are all the same.

I also tried to fit the bag rails, but found out that I would have to cut the filler panel between the guard and the bags to fit them, so no go there. I went back to stock.

Now if anyone has a set in Black Pearl, I'd fit them tomorrow! For that unfortunate time when the bike tips over. I know because I've had two slow speed tips on my Road King and the bars saved my bags both times. But, I am definitely not putting the chrome ones on my Glide again. Just didn't work at all.

Old 02-11-2014 | 05:13 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Klinger
I've seen a couple of color matched ones I take it all back. It was the chrome that didn't go with the bike, not the guards.

Now if anyone has a set in Black Pearl, I'd fit them tomorrow!
Agreed I bought a set of black ones and had them painted mysterious red to match my bike I think they look great but of course that's MHO.

Originally Posted by Gliden
The only thing I'll tell you is if you decide to do this the parts that Harley gives you are chrome for the front of the bag but the rest of the replacement rail that runs under the saddle bag that supports the bag comes black.

I thought that was messed up since the stock rails I had to replace were chrome and I do run sometimes with no bags so they are exposed.

I had to bring them to a chrome shop in Paterson NJ to chrome all the parts Harley sent in that kit that was unchromed.
I had the under parts also painted mysterious red to match.

Last edited by ejvette; 02-11-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2014 | 06:05 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by ejvette
Agreed I bought a set of black ones and had them painted mysterious red to match my bike I think they look great but of course that's MHO.

I had the under parts also painted mysterious red to match.

How about a pic?

Old 02-11-2014 | 09:20 AM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Smile Me

Originally Posted by spf62
Who has them?? Pics please
thanks
Easy, easy install too. Now I can have something to grab onto IF I need to pick up a dropped bike!

Attached Thumbnails saddlebag guards on street glide-baguards-copy.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014 | 09:37 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldFordTrk1
I was fortunate enough to try mine out today. I parked the bike in an open parking lot just to have some guy in a pickup back into it and turn it over! Zero paint damage just bag guard, engine guard, grip, and hwy peg scratches. The tour pack guard was bent but no tour pak damage.
OUCH! It hurts just looking at it!

Old 02-11-2014 | 12:49 PM
spf62
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tanker2
It's not a question of will you drop your bike. But when. I had my foot slip on some sand in a parking lot. Wasn't even moving. Tipped right over. Bike was a month old. Guards save it. Worth the money.
thats what I'm thinking. Thanks

Old 02-11-2014 | 02:47 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

I installed the standard chrome ones on my SG for 2 reasons:

1. A little more protection for when my wife and kids ride with me for their legs
2. To put storage bags on each bar and fill them with the tools and supplies I carry so I could free up my saddlebags.

As far as looks go, I dont worry if folks like my glide when its parked, they can build their own, and at 80mph out on the highway, no one is going to know anyways.

Old 02-11-2014 | 03:05 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
They look terrible on a Street Glide
I agree. They take away the clean look.

Old 05-03-2020 | 10:26 PM
ozzie21
Advanced
Default They Fit

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
I attempted too!

But from my understanding, they won't fit. Different saddlebag support bars underneath.

They sure look better then the standard ones and also give the BSR more leg room without the guard bars hitting their calves.

YB
Guys...
The new type saddlebag guards fit. See my posts and I've got a bunch of pics showing how I did it.

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (12-13-2020)

Quick Reply: saddlebag guards on street glide