Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddlebag guards on street glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014 | 08:06 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Got mine from Hill Country Custom Cycles for $160 on eBay (come in black & chrome)...plus these are thicker than HD's (same size as hwy bar). For FLHX you'll also need:

- Left & Right Saddlebag Supports (~$70/ea = $140 total)
- Antenna bracket (to relocate = $8)

So my total was little over $300 for all, but really like the look(s).

Attached Thumbnails saddlebag guards on street glide-flhx-guard-1.jpg   saddlebag guards on street glide-flhx-guard-2.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014 | 10:31 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the protection the guards provide and also have the rails that wrap the saddlebag. Just factory stuff. It does detract from the looks some but they work.
Not only protection from dropping, getting knocked over,slow speed crashes and such but if you ever go where there are a lot of bikes parked tight like a toy run they sure protect from other riders who cannot handle the bikes just walking them in parking spots. Had a putz on his over the top custom bagger back his bike into the right rear corner on my bike. Damage for me was 0 his damage was worse. It seems the big wide extended saddlebags do like contact with saddlebag guards and exhaust tips on Supertrapps ! Those Sharkfin tips not only bite shins but bikes !! I wish I had a picture.
Even more funny is this asspipe wanted my insurance information for the accident report !! My bike was sitting still ,parked and locked up.

Old 02-09-2014 | 10:38 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Not a SG, but a good visual of how the comfort guards look in black. They blend in well, and still offer some basic fall-over protection.

Old 02-09-2014 | 10:50 AM
Gliden
Club Member

I added the Harley bag guard that ust goes on the front of each bag. I didn't want to wrap the bag with rails.

The only thing I'll tell you is if you decide to do this the parts that Harley gives you are chrome for the front of the bag but the rest of the replacement rail that runs under the saddle bag that supports the bag comes black.

I thought that was messed up since the stock rails I had to replace were chrome and I do run sometimes with no bags so they are exposed.

I had to bring them to a chrome shop in Paterson NJ to chrome all the parts Harley sent in that kit that was unchromed.

Old 02-09-2014 | 09:01 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master

I'm not a big fan of the look of the bars, but I think they are well worth the protection they provide. Just another thing to add to the list.

Old 02-09-2014 | 09:45 PM
snip0721
Road Master

I found a saddlebag laying on the side of the road a few years back. color scheme was newer. guards would have kept the bag from going down the road. whoever it was had to be shocked as hell when they got to their destination, and saw a bag missing. lucky for them the bag was empty, so no loss other than the bag.......snip

Old 02-10-2014 | 12:42 PM
CaptainKirk
Road Master

We're mixing up guards vs. rails..... I have the guards on mine. The rails wrap the bags and I still haven't determined if rails have ever fit on a Street Glide. I for one like the look of them and the protection......

Old 02-10-2014 | 12:49 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I put just the front guards on mine. Will help minimize damage if (when) I drop the bike and also gives me a place to mount the guard bags. I don't care for windshield bags and the guard bags give me a place to keep items such as phone, camera, water, etc, within easy reach while riding.

Sorry for the lousy pictures but when the temps are in the mid 20's the bike is in the garage with the cover on
My Road King came with them but like you I bought the bags that mount on them and they work great and actually kind of hide the bars.

Old 02-10-2014 | 12:53 PM
bzb123
Road Captain

I have them painted to match (really easy if the bike is vivid black)

I have the storage pouches that mount on them and also hold a water bottle.

Hope I don't need them for fall over protection!

Attached Thumbnails saddlebag guards on street glide-img_4732.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014 | 01:04 PM
BigD64
Tourer

Technically my bike is an FLHTP. But It's got SG signals and is stripped down to look like a SG. Check the pic in my garage.

Quick Reply: saddlebag guards on street glide