Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Anything mechanical will break, it's only a question of when and where. If I were a zip code rider who put on 2,000 miles a year I wouldn't bother with an ESP.

I average over 2,000 miles a month and ride nationwide. I'll take the ESP, thanks.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteOwlNY
I bought the extra 5 years on the Limited just because of all the new electronics and wet heads... I have 7 years now and wlll probably keep the bike for 10.
I did the same thing plus the tire and wheel, first year, lots of new stuff and lots can go wrong...piece of mind for me! And hey, it's only money...

Old 02-08-2014, 10:53 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there extended warranties that cover a heavily modified bike? I would think so not probably expensive?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Old 02-08-2014, 11:12 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

I had the 7 year ESP on my '02 & '09 Ultra Classics and they have paid for themselves. On the '09 I bought the optional tire & wheel coverage and broke even on that when the rear tire was replaced due to a nail puncture. With the labor rates around $100 an hour it does not take long to amass a substantial repair bill and it is nice when you only have to pay a $50 deductible. When I bought the '14 Limited I got the 7 year ESP with tire & wheel coverage again.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

You never really know what you're getting when buying used. So I get the EW for peace of mind.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If you can't turn a wrench and have money to spare, buy a warranty.....

I would rather pay for parts myself and do the labor myself then have a half *** so called HD Tech touch my bike. Doing it my way may cost a little more but at least I know the jobs done correctly the first time around and that there will be no cosmetic damage done to my bike while getting repaired.....

As far as motor & trans, if they don't come apart within 10,000, your good to go....

Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
If you can't turn a wrench and have money to spare, buy a warranty.....

I would rather pay for parts myself and do the labor myself then have a half *** so called HD Tech touch my bike. Doing it my way may cost a little more but at least I know the jobs done correctly the first time around and that there will be no cosmetic damage done to my bike while getting repaired.....
That's true, but what're you going to do if/when it breaks down 2,000 miles from home?

As far as motor & trans, if they don't come apart within 10,000, your good to go....
Really? 'Cause my motor's currently in pieces at the dealer with a wrecked piston and cylinder and head damage with 13,600 miles.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:59 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
That's true, but what're you going to do if/when it breaks down 2,000 miles from home?

Really? 'Cause my motor's currently in pieces at the dealer with a wrecked piston and cylinder and head damage with 13,600 miles.
Use my AMA or HOG card and have it towed. If not to my home, to the closest dealer where I can store it until I can pick it up with my trailer.

Your saying that your motor damage just occurred out of the blue without warning and with proper maintenance? Not saying you don't maintain your bike but the odds of it occurring without any type of warning are pretty high.

I should have been more observant, I now see your riding a CVO with the 110 motor....which have not been as stout as the 96 & 103 motors from what I have read and with the miles you put on, you made the right call as far as a ESP....

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 02-08-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Use my AMA or HOG card and have it towed. If not to my home, to the closest dealer where I can store it until I can pick it up with my trailer.

Your saying that your motor damage just occurred out of the blue without warning and with proper maintenance? Not saying you don't maintain your bike but the odds of it occurring without any type of warning are pretty high.

I should have been more observant, I now see your riding a CVO with the 110 motor....which have not been as stout as the 96 & 103 motors from what I have read and with the miles you put on, you made the right call as far as a ESP....
So if my bike breaks down 2,000 miles from home, I should have it towed to a dealer, then get to an airport, fly home, get in my truck and drive back to where I just was, load the bike, and drive home? On a good day, my truck gets 15mpg and gas is $3.20/gallon, so that's $850 in gas, plus another $40 for the oil change it'd need with that kind of mileage. I'd need at least 3 motel rooms at (let's figure I go cheap) $50/night. Four days of travel with three meals each day is (again, let's be cheap and figure I don't have a beer or two) is $40/day. We'll be generous again and figure that the dealer that's holding my bike knowing they're not going to do the work isn't charging me a storage fee.

That's $1,200 before I've put a wrench to the bike, and I've taken 4 days off of work. My 7-year ESP cost $1858.

FWIW, my 2010 FLHTK went through 3 compensators (2 of them S/E), 2 stereos, and the whole top end of the motor fell apart. Every one of those things happened after 10,000 miles.

And yes, I'm an ****-retentive fool regarding maintenance.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
So if my bike breaks down 2,000 miles from home, I should have it towed to a dealer, then get to an airport, fly home, get in my truck and drive back to where I just was, load the bike, and drive home? On a good day, my truck gets 15mpg and gas is $3.20/gallon, so that's $850 in gas, plus another $40 for the oil change it'd need with that kind of mileage. I'd need at least 3 motel rooms at (let's figure I go cheap) $50/night. Four days of travel with three meals each day is (again, let's be cheap and figure I don't have a beer or two) is $40/day. We'll be generous again and figure that the dealer that's holding my bike knowing they're not going to do the work isn't charging me a storage fee.

That's $1,200 before I've put a wrench to the bike, and I've taken 4 days off of work. My 7-year ESP cost $1858.

FWIW, my 2010 FLHTK went through 3 compensators (2 of them S/E), 2 stereos, and the whole top end of the motor fell apart. Every one of those things happened after 10,000 miles.

And yes, I'm an ****-retentive fool regarding maintenance.
I'm adding your name to this list....

http://www.cracked.com/article_17416...ver-lived.html

It's the luck of the draw, I don't recall ever buying an extended warranty on anything I bought. My V-Rod came with one from the prior owner and that thing was bullet proof.

I'll take my chances and if something breaks, I'll handle it like I always do.

Hopefully you are not taking this light natured ribbing seriously, we all have our opinions and thoughts which makes the world go round. I was in your great state yesterday for the motorcycle show. Someone there was telling me that your Governor wants to charge a "rain tax", you know anything about that?

Quick Reply: Warranty