Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking out the 14 models

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Dogg80
And I think that's the question. I have a feeling the connectors are different as my parts guy was apprehensive as well. I figure that if the connectors are different, it still shouldn't be too tough. There's only a power and a ground wire, so it should be nothing to swap the connectors.

That's my thinking anyways. Make sense?
Yuppers. Here's a pic from my '11 Tour-Pak:

I'm holding the connector for the stock FLHTK marker light. One power (blue) and one ground (black) wire. Disconnect that connector, remove the two (T15, I believe) Torx screws that go directly into the top of the marker light, slide the connector through the factory-drilled hole, removal complete. Reverse for install. Again...stupid easy.

If these are going into a Tour-Pak that didn't already have the marker lights, then the install becomes a little more complicated (removing the Tour-Pak, metal plate, chrome strips, drilling the 0.5" hole, routing the wiring harness, etc.). H-D instructions mention "2014 and later" bikes should follow the service manual for removal/installation instructions (Linky) Oops...craig already posted this tidbit.

Last edited by jlj6t; 02-08-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:42 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jlj6t
Yuppers. Here's a pic from my '11 Tour-Pak:

I'm holding the connector for the stock FLHTK marker light. One power (blue) and one ground (black) wire. Disconnect that connector, remove the two (T15, I believe) Torx screws that go directly into the top of the marker light, slide the connector through the factory-drilled hole, removal complete. Reverse for install. Again...stupid easy.

If these are going into a Tour-Pak that didn't already have the marker lights, then the install becomes a little more complicated (removing the Tour-Pak, metal plate, chrome strips, drilling the 0.5" hole, routing the wiring harness, etc.). H-D instructions mention "2014 and later" bikes should follow the service manual for removal/installation instructions (Linky)
He's more than likey gonna have to remove the tour pak. The plate in the new ones are way different and all the runs under the plate. My tour pak is a 2014 box on my 12 Street Glide.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser

Originally Posted by craigffb
He's more than likey gonna have to remove the tour pak. The plate in the new ones are way different and all the runs under the plate. My tour pak is a 2014 box on my 12 Street Glide.
Gotcha.

Let us know how it turns out!

Old 02-08-2014, 01:54 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Yeah. According to my service manual the torx screws holding the lights also hold the ground plate. I imagine the tour pak mounting bolts also hold the plate down. I haven't even looked at the bike. It's under the cover and it's too cold to go outside.

Last edited by T_Dogg80; 02-08-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Alright, I took out the liner quickly before I left for work and saw that the tour pak bolts will have to come out to get the plate out. Shouldn't be a big deal. I shouldn't have to disconnect any wiring right? I should be able to keep it on the bike while installing the lights, provided I have an extra hand to hold the tour pak stable?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Alright, I took out the liner quickly before I left for work and saw that the tour pak bolts will have to come out to get the plate out. Shouldn't be a big deal. I shouldn't have to disconnect any wiring right? I should be able to keep it on the bike while installing the lights, provided I have an extra hand to hold the tour pak stable?
Yes you could leave it on the bike but they will be holding it for awhile. LOL

The 4 nuts hold the tour pak to the rack. The bolt are part of the plate. You wont be able to pull the plate till you take out the 4 torx screws that hold the lights on cause they go through the plate. Then all you'll have to do is disconnect the plugs for each light. You might have to take the wires out of the plugs or pull the grommets out of the holes cause I don't think the plugs will go through the holes with the grommets in them.

When you pull the plate it will all make sense, but I think you're gonna see it will be easier and safer to just take the box off the bike.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Yes you could leave it on the bike but they will be holding it for awhile. LOL

The 4 nuts hold the tour pak to the rack. The bolt are part of the plate. You wont be able to pull the plate till you take out the 4 torx screws that hold the lights on cause they go through the plate. Then all you'll have to do is disconnect the plugs for each light. You might have to take the wires out of the plugs or pull the grommets out of the holes cause I don't think the plugs will go through the holes with the grommets in them.

When you pull the plate it will all make sense, but I think you're gonna see it will be easier and safer to just take the box off the bike.
Yeah, I think you are bang on. I didn't realize that the bolts were part of the plate as well. Either way, I'll post pics here when they're on. The problem is I do not have anyone that could give me a hand anyways.

Worst comes to worst, I'll pay the dealer to install. I haven't got them to install anything yet, but since I don't have another pair of hands, I don't want to risk damaging my new tour pak.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I think you are bang on. I didn't realize that the bolts were part of the plate as well. Either way, I'll post pics here when they're on. The problem is I do not have anyone that could give me a hand anyways.

Worst comes to worst, I'll pay the dealer to install. I haven't got them to install anything yet, but since I don't have another pair of hands, I don't want to risk damaging my new tour pak.

That sucks Bro! I'd make my OL help me before I paid the dealer to do it....LOL

Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

That sucks Bro! I'd make my OL help me before I paid the dealer to do it....LOL
If I'm in the garage, my wife is watching our toddler. We'll see what happens. I really don't think it's tough to do, I just don't want to have to completely remove the tour pak. Maybe I can put a tie down strap around it and the bracket, or install 2 bolts loosely so it'll stay in place while the plate is off.

So much running through my mind to save $$ by not going to the dealer. If it would only take me an hour, how the hell do they think it takes them 3? (I'm assuming this is what they will charge for).

ETA: Yeah, I looked at my service manual again. I think I should be able to hold it on there using bolts or a strap. Thoughts?

Also, my service manual states that the side marker lights have a "2-way Tyco 070 Multilock Unsealed" connector. Can anyone verify this is the same connector that comes on the lights? I can't seem to find a pic of this on google.

Last edited by T_Dogg80; 02-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Got the lights in today. I had to go straight to work so I won't get them on until tomorrow. The connectors are the same ones in Jlj6t's pics above. I hope they are the same ones on my bike.

I got as far as taking out the liner before I left the house. 4 bolts and should be good to go. I'll post updated pics of the smoked out back end once finished.

Quick Reply: Smoking out the 14 models