Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio with speakers and headset both at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM
BCarlin
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio with speakers and headset both at the same time?

How do I get the radio to play on both the speakers and the headsets on my 2012 Limited at the same time? My wife wears a 3/4 helmet with the HD headset and choose to not wear a helmet. I can use the speaker switch to have it work with the headset or speakers but not both at the same time. Is there a wiring fix for this?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BCarlin
How do I get the radio to play on both the speakers and the headsets on my 2012 Limited at the same time? My wife wears a 3/4 helmet with the HD headset and choose to not wear a helmet. I can use the speaker switch to have it work with the headset or speakers but not both at the same time. Is there a wiring fix for this?
There is a center position have you tried that?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

If your Limited doesn;t offer an optional switch position;

I wire an earphone jack into my speakers...plug in my earbuds and both play.

a radio shack type inline volume control is required for the earbuds to keep them from blowing the head off.

cost about $10

I use earbuds when touring to keep the music in and the wind noise out. I really only use the speaker for hops around town

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-08-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

If you've got the electrical manual it should be a simple matter of jumpering a wire.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On a 12 ultra classic and limited there is a speaker switch with three positions, headset only, speaker only and speaker and head set on.

If in the forward position, that is headset only, and each individual can control the volume for their headset

If in the center position, it's speakers only

In the rear position it's speakers and headset, and the rear passenger can once again control their own volume.

You may have to turn on and set up the intercom portion of the unit, and you'll need to make sure her volume is turned up.

All of the instructions you need are in the owners manual. DO NOT start jumping wires and doing stupid crap. The light on the switch is ONLY on in the rearmost setting where the headset and speakers are active

Last edited by Guitardude; 02-07-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitardude
On a 12 ultra classic and limited there is a speaker switch with three positions, headset only, speaker only and speaker and head set on.

If in the forward position, that is headset only, and each individual can control the volume for their headset

If in the center position, it's speakers only

In the rear position it's speakers and headset, and the rear passenger can once again control their own volume.

You may have to turn on and set up the intercom portion of the unit, and you'll need to make sure her volume is turned up.

All of the instructions you need are in the owners manual. DO NOT start jumping wires and doing stupid crap. The light on the switch is ONLY on in the rearmost setting where the headset and speakers are active
I have learned something new today.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:39 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

On the '09 Ultra position 1 put the radio & CB thru the speakers, position 2 put the radio thru the speakers & the CB thru the headset, and position 3 put the radio & CB thru the headset. I don't think that you can play the radio thru the speakers & the headset at the same time.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 PM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
On the '09 Ultra position 1 put the radio & CB thru the speakers, position 2 put the radio thru the speakers & the CB thru the headset, and position 3 put the radio & CB thru the headset. I don't think that you can play the radio thru the speakers & the headset at the same time.
Exactly. No way to get music thru the speakers and the headset at the same time. The center switch position gives music thru the speakers, and communication thru the headset.
jt

Old 02-08-2014, 06:10 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyjth
Exactly. No way to get music thru the speakers and the headset at the same time. The center switch position gives music thru the speakers, and communication thru the headset.
jt
Funny, I went out and did it before I wrote what I did.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Fairing 3 way switch will not solve your issue you have to jump wires on the speaker switch, the stock switch only works all sounds and thru speakers in one position or all sounds and communication (when turned on) thru headset only and the other position is for music thru speakers and communication thru head set. Some one mention here otherwise could be malfunctioned fairing cap switch which is very possible have had few of these gone bad in our group.

Quick Reply: Radio with speakers and headset both at the same time?