Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gaterman 1023's

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I would just cut the old pushrods out and not bother the upper end. If its not leaking it shouldn't need anything at 31K.
He said his rear rocker box gasket is seeping a bit so he is going to have to replace that anyway.

But I am still a fan of adjustables, especially with a quality lifter like the Gatermans. I set mine at .130. You can't do that with the stock-length push rods. Then what if you use stock rods and the lifters are a little noisy? Then your only option is to set the preload deeper and you need adjustables to accomplish that. Most with Gatermans (that I have read about on here and on the harleytechtalk forum) set them between .120 and .150 for best results.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,855 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
He said his rear rocker box gasket is seeping a bit so he is going to have to replace that anyway.

But I am still a fan of adjustables, especially with a quality lifter like the Gatermans. I set mine at .130. You can't do that with the stock-length push rods. Then what if you use stock rods and the lifters are a little noisy? Then your only option is to set the preload deeper and you need adjustables to accomplish that. Most with Gatermans (that I have read about on here and on the harleytechtalk forum) set them between .120 and .150 for best results.
Oh Joe, the OP said he had a leak, not Sc0. Harley offers Harley-Davidson PERFECT FIT PUSHROD, +.030 18401-03. You will have to check with the dealer to assure that this kit is for the Twin Cam motor. I still prefer adjustable pushrods as it allows you to fine tune the adjustment and you don't have to pull the rocker boxes. The SE's have worked very well for me.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Mark Pisani
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stupid question

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Oh Joe, the OP said he had a leak, not Sc0. Harley offers Harley-Davidson PERFECT FIT PUSHROD, +.030 18401-03. You will have to check with the dealer to assure that this kit is for the Twin Cam motor. I still prefer adjustable pushrods as it allows you to fine tune the adjustment and you don't have to pull the rocker boxes. The SE's have worked very well for me.
I know this post is really old but figured whatever.

I am installing 1023s and I have a maybe stupid question. Which way do they go in? They are higher in one side than the other. Does that high side go towards the front of the bike or back?

Maybe it’s obvious when you go to install them but I’m not by my bike right now.

thanks.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:32 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Pisani
I know this post is really old but figured whatever.

I am installing 1023s and I have a maybe stupid question. Which way do they go in? They are higher in one side than the other. Does that high side go towards the front of the bike or back?

Maybe it’s obvious when you go to install them but I’m not by my bike right now.

thanks.
Word to the wise - Gaterman's are junk. Unless they changed dramatically since 2015, they are many, many years past being a quality lifter. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. A 1023 chewed thru a 1 year old build with 10K on it in 2016. I wasn't the only one.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:21 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Word to the wise - Gaterman's are junk. Unless they changed dramatically since 2015, they are many, many years past being a quality lifter. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. A 1023 chewed thru a 1 year old build with 10K on it in 2016. I wasn't the only one.

Gaterman lifters became popular fast.... but it didn't take long for issues to show up...

They fell out of favor almost as fast as they became popular... few reputable shops will use them anymore...

For a high quality lifter, without the price premium of an S&S or Wood's lifter... I use the Hylift Johnson lifters from WFO Larry... I have them in two bikes, no issues.. they have a good reputation in many shops...

http://www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com/lifters.html

But you may have to call him, I remember reading he was/is having supply issues due to all the Covid stuff...