Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014 | 05:55 PM
LiiT
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default New to touring bikes

Hey folks. Back in the saddle year before last after taking time off to work and raise kids. After tooling around on my little FXD (loads of fun!) for a while I decided I wanted more comfort so I found a super clean and nice '00 FLHTCUI to add to the stable at a great price. She is double O awesome!!Seriously this bike was this guys baby. Every record of everything ever done on it at Pikeville HD and though it had 41k on it, I have never seen a cleaner bike inside and out. Checked the cam chain tensioners, they were showing about 25% wear. Just wondering if there are any other issues on these bikes you guys that have experience with them think I might need to check over before I scoot out here in a few weeks? I have heard some talk of injector problems on these, but you know how that goes.

I will be doing the Blue Ridge Parkway starting from the Maryland end this spring (I going to kick it off with some crab cakes!) and if that (and my back) doesn't kill me, I'm thinking Monument Valley this fall. I have always wanted to ride through where all those old John Wayne/John Ford movies were made.

I haven't ridden The Dragon's Tail in 25 years, I think I'm due for a run!

All advice appreciated!

LiiT

Old 02-06-2014 | 06:17 PM
hover
Road Captain

Dont know much about your bike, but if your going a long ways, get yourself a good backrest on it.

Old 02-06-2014 | 06:31 PM
PFR-Captain
Cruiser

I bought a 99 RK with FI and 25K miles this past summer. It was in my budget for my first HD. I have to be honest the bike was in awesome condition, my first Harley and I didn't do much research on this bike. I have since read alot, heard all the horror stories of the Magnetti FI, but so far mine runs perfect. Bike is mostly stock other than some slip-ons. Am I still nervous about this FI, yes, but will keep riding it until a problem starts. Next time I will do more research but it was such a beauty of a bike and my wife gave me the two thumbs up. That doesn't happen very often. haha. Congrats and enjoy your new ride.

Old 02-07-2014 | 08:13 AM
LiiT
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

Originally Posted by PFR-Captain
I bought a 99 RK with FI and 25K miles this past summer. It was in my budget for my first HD. I have to be honest the bike was in awesome condition, my first Harley and I didn't do much research on this bike. I have since read alot, heard all the horror stories of the Magnetti FI, but so far mine runs perfect. Bike is mostly stock other than some slip-ons. Am I still nervous about this FI, yes, but will keep riding it until a problem starts. Next time I will do more research but it was such a beauty of a bike and my wife gave me the two thumbs up. That doesn't happen very often. haha. Congrats and enjoy your new ride.
I have never been one of those folks that had to have the latest greatest thing. I guess it comes from growing up poor and my grandparents philosophy of, "If you want something, you work and save your money toward it instead of going into debt for everything".

In my research when buying this bike, I found out pretty fast that touring riders are usually dang particular about their bikes. Meaning that they tend to be a bit more fastidious in their care for them. After all if you are way the heck out in Podunk Nowhere you better be able to depend on it.

Thanks again.

LiiT

Old 02-07-2014 | 10:05 AM
rwrunski
Cruiser

Congrats the '00 FLHTCUI is a great bike, I have one. May you enjoy many miles on it.

Old 02-07-2014 | 10:11 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Congrats! Share some pictures!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 02-07-2014 | 11:07 AM
sbeast
Road Master

Take care of it and it'll run forever. My friend has a 98 RK, that's now pushing over 200,000 miles, with only 1 engine rebuild

Old 02-07-2014 | 11:45 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Welcome to the club...You will love it. Not a lot of issues with that year that I'm aware of, mainly the cam shoe tensioners.

Old 02-07-2014 | 12:04 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

You will love the bike for certain. Post up a picture when you can.

Old 02-07-2014 | 01:59 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Enjoy the ride.
Don't worry about the negatives.
Worry about the distracted drivers.

BE SEEN & HEARD.

Quick Reply: New to touring bikes