Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King on the brain.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by madmustang4
I think the Road King is the one singular bike that most represents what Harley Davidson is all about. I need to get one before i croak.
+1 on that! Well said. The King is the best basic bike out there. I like the post with the three different configurations, don't forget the sidecar!

I have removed or traded out guards, painted parts for chrome, tires, bars, etc. to make it as close to bare bones as possible while looking good. I will keep my 07 until I croak, already thinking about the sidecar for the day that I can't lift it off the stand!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my King, third one. Not to steal a thread, Hey Eric, what bars are those? Have to make a decision on bars and I really like yours.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

and when i do get one someday, if I have any nads at all, I'll take the windshield off.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I traded my 11 Limited in on a 11 RKC, hated the fairing and lowers and all that crap. It was less than a year old, dealer treated me right though. The Limited was nice but just way too much bike for what I do. If I was touring a lot I might have kept it. Most of my rides are 200 miles or less one way so the RKC is plenty comfortable for that. Plus I have the drivers and passenger back rest, 4 point dock with luggage rack if I ever want to go further.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 02-06-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 AM
nsnorgrass
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I came from a Dyna and I will never go back. The RK is very versatile and is a breeze to ride.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madmustang4
and when i do get one someday, if I have any nads at all, I'll take the windshield off.
That is one of the things I like best about my King, especially while just scootin around town on those first warm days of spring.

I have quick disconnect everything. The storage requirements for the tour pak, luggage rack, passenger pillion, both backrests, batwing, RK windshield, lower fairings, etc. does take up some space in the spare bedroom though. Can't keep it all in the garage, being a working garage.
In just a few minutes, I can have the King outfitted for any occasion but usually it is as basic as they come.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM
bigslick1960
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, traded my 11 Ultra for a 14 RK, I only tour a couple of times a year, everything else is 200 miles or less day trips. RK is perfect for that type of riding. Super comfortable, and handles like a dream.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,712 Likes on 1,372 Posts

'80 FLH, '88 FLHS, '97 FLHR, '10 FLHR. Guess I am in a rut, but such a fine rut.

Winter riding in the rain mode: Reckless Fairing, Desert Dawg soft lowers, King Tour pack. Gerbings electric gear.
Spring/Summer/Fall rode: Commute: Windshield, heated grips, lowers when below 50, rack on back
Touring: Windshield, rack and sissy bar with Super T-bag.
Cruising: Windshield, rack with net buggie
Bar Hopping: change seat, no windshield, no rack or take sporty.

I always wanted a Road King. I make my dreams come true.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most versatile of all the touring bikes. Broad range of capabilities, and classic lines. Bar hopper to two-up long range tourer. Best H-D I've owned. Still much prefer riding w/o the windshield, but the shield and heated grips sure are nice in the colder temps!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
jrporter
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went in the other direction. Had a Road King several years ago and sold it cause I lived in the city and had no time, place to ride. Fast forward to last August, and find myself living in the country a couple of miles from the confluence of the Blueridge Parkway and Skyline drive and happily retired. I planned to buy another Road King but recalled that I never removed the shield except for cleaning. Got a great deal on a '13 Electraglide Classic and never looked back. Great fairing with tunes, and the old lady loves the comfy backrest. Everyone is happy-just can't wait for spring...

Quick Reply: Road King on the brain.