Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Changing to a Police seat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: ? Changing to a Police seat.

while theyre comfortable- i still enjoy my personal RK much more

Old 03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
mjh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borchard: On my police road king, it came with a plastic cover that goes over the battery and adjacent areasand extends from the rear of thetank to the rear fender. It's molded and fits in place nicely to hide the "guts" of the bike below the seat. This cover is held in place with two nuts on the rear fender. These nusts have a grove on the top side that the HD Sundowner passenger seat front brace fits into that serves to hold the front of seat in place and the rear bolt secures the seat to the fender.
Check the bottom of your passenger seat, maybe the Mustang seats don't have the front brace like the HD seats. If that is the case, you may be able to have someone fabricate a brace on the bottom of the seat to fit into the slotted nuts.
I hope this helps.
mjh

Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
alazlo
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mjh

Borchard: On my police road king, it came with a plastic cover that goes over the battery and adjacent areasand extends from the rear of thetank to the rear fender. It's molded and fits in place nicely to hide the "guts" of the bike below the seat. This cover is held in place with two nuts on the rear fender. These nusts have a grove on the top side that the HD Sundowner passenger seat front brace fits into that serves to hold the front of seat in place and the rear bolt secures the seat to the fender.
Check the bottom of your passenger seat, maybe the Mustang seats don't have the front brace like the HD seats. If that is the case, you may be able to have someone fabricate a brace on the bottom of the seat to fit into the slotted nuts.
I hope this helps.
mjh
The mustang seat fits the same as a Harley seat. The two "seat nuts" hold the back of the seat fairing (black plastic under the seat)down and the seat slides onto them..

If you check the photo in this thread that mjh has posted ( ref backrest) you can seethe two nuts and where they go...

Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM
vettedog72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thining of doing the same thing, do you have any spec's you can share or have you thought through the buddy seat and back rest etc. Sounds like you have a marketable idea! If the main seat has the moving back rest, looks like the passinger would have to look out or get pinched.

Pass on any comments and thanks in advance for your response.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 AM
mjh
Tourer

I don't have any specs for the rider backrest. I used the stock rider back rest and modified it to fit as shown in the photo above. It rides up and down with the seat and not the fender. My wife has never had any problems with it pinching. I have the passenger sundowner seat that is astock bolt on, no mods to make it fit. I used the stock back rest and rack on the quick disconnect so I can removeher backrest if I'm riding by myself. I suppose you could fabricate a receiver that would bolt on to the "t" subframe of the seat, but I didn't take the time to re-design it, I just used the stock parts and cut and fit to make it work.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:39 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also considered this, and actually like the look. Would be great for a solo seat set up I want for when it is just me.

MJH, great idea. Very creative. I think the above post is correct. You should build a couple and see if it sells. Heck, I know I would want one. Start small and sell a couple here on the forum. The police seats are cheap enough to buy and try a couple as a tester. If you ever plan on this, I would love to have one. Figure you could always just powder coat the whole thing black, or paint it black. Or even clean it up enough to allow the purchaser the opportunity to color match it to their bike. Cool...Wish I had thought of it. Or wish I had the talent to make my own.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM
mjh
Tourer

PapaTravis:
You may be right, in that there may be some that would like a bolt on solution. I will give it more consideration and keep you posted.
keep the shiney side up.
mjh

Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Globeracer
Cruiser

Canyou inflate a police seat with a Harley Davidson suspension hand pump?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:03 AM
2notch
Novice

Yes you can use the any hand pump for the seat.....they are kinda slippery so i could see where a backrest would be nice,,,i have looked at the mustang for the wife but as of yet i am still undecided....where is the best place to get inexpensive passenger footboards for my 05 flhtpi?? thanks for a reply...

Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Motor Squad
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Globeracer

Canyou inflate a police seat with a Harley Davidson suspension hand pump?
I would notrecommend the suspension pump to inflate the seat, mainly because I run about 70psi in my seat and the suspension pump can't handle the pressure. I would recommend using a regular tire pump and just use short bursts of air in order to avoid overinflation. The air bladder for the seat takes a very little volume of air.

Quick Reply: ? Changing to a Police seat.