Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White or colored CD led's with stock turn signal lenses??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default White or colored CD led's with stock turn signal lenses??

I'm going to get the CD led kit for my Ultra. Has anyone tried the red/amber led's with the stock red/amber lenses? I'm wondering if they would have more color over a regular white led. Not a fan of clear or smoked lenses.

The plan is CD led turn signals/load equalizer and a BAL-1. Still thinking about TL-7's.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 AM
WDE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm experimenting with the smoked lenses now. I had the front amber led with the stock amber lenses, and red rear led with the turn signals replaced with red lenses. Looked fine, bright as hell. Just can't help but tinker. Not sure but white leds under the lens might wash out most of the color, they are much brighter. BTW, the leds are the radiantz version, which are about the same as the CD.

Bright/left side is amber led with amber lens, right side is stock white bulb with amber lens

Attached Thumbnails White or colored CD led's with stock turn signal lenses??-photo.jpg  

Last edited by WDE; 02-05-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior

Thanks WDE, that's exactly what I was wondering about. I'll probably order them with the smoked lenses in case I ever want to go that direction down the road.

Last edited by slapshot12; 02-05-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 PM
basselope
Road Captain

CD doesn't recommend trying to use colored lenses with white leds for just that reason. I went with smoke lenses and yellow/red leds...they light up beautifully!

Here's a link to my thread and installation results of leds and plasma rods.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...2012-flhx.html

Shoot me an email (from my profile) if you have any questions.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM
WDE
Advanced

The smoked look is growing on me. I started with the smoked fender tip lens when I got the front led tip light to see if I liked it. Then I decided to get the smoked turn signal lenses b/c they were only a few $ from CD. I'll need to decide smoke vs color before I drop the cash on a BAL. Wish I could find a smoked squareback brake light lens since the BAL-1 has a replaceable lens but comes only in red.

With the smokes...

Attached Thumbnails White or colored CD led's with stock turn signal lenses??-pic-1.jpg   White or colored CD led's with stock turn signal lenses??-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by WDE; 02-05-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by slapshot12
I'm going to get the CD led kit for my Ultra. Has anyone tried the red/amber led's with the stock red/amber lenses? I'm wondering if they would have more color over a regular white led. Not a fan of clear or smoked lenses. The plan is CD led turn signals/load equalizer and a BAL-1. Still thinking about TL-7's.
It is always recommended to use red LEDs with red lenses and Amber LEDs with Amber lenses. You will get brighter more saturated color that way.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 PM
basselope
Road Captain

Originally Posted by offthewall
It is always recommended to use red LEDs with red lenses and Amber LEDs with Amber lenses. You will get brighter more saturated color that way.
CD actually recommends using clear or smoked lenses for "more dynamic" results, but adds that normal amber or red lenses can be used.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by offthewall
That's my plan (red led w/ stock red lenses/amber led w/ stock amber lenses). I did choose the smoked lenses with the kit just in case I ever want to go that direction. I'll have the CD turn signals, BAL-1, and Phase 7's. I'll be about as lit up as I can be.

Last edited by slapshot12; 02-07-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,308 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Go with the color LED's with the color lens'. It extenuates the colors, and if you go with smoked you'll be all set.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Go smoke or go home...

Quick Reply: White or colored CD led's with stock turn signal lenses??