Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on tuners

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
HOGILAC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on tuners

I have heard about Power Commander, harley tuner, Thunder Max and Power Vision..., All shops speak highly about what they support. I have a 03 Electra Glide w/FI. what is the best tuner for me and is auto tuner worth it? I am also looking for one that I could order, install and maintain myself.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Call Jamie at Fuel Moto. He'll lead you straight for what your bike needs with no BS and with unlimited support.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The HD tuner, power vision, and TTS are all going to do the same thing so it just comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I know the HD and PV both have a auto tune function built in so when you buy one of these you get the ability to do some auto tuning. I would bet the TTS has this as well but just don't have experience with it. If you go into the tuning thread here you could read up on each and decide which one u would feel the most comfotable using. Any of these options are going to give you a good tune.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

On an '03 without O2s a Power-commander would be fine but a powervision or TTS would be better. The Power-commander is an add-on but allows almost full tuning options. Powervision and TTS all full fledged flash tuners. I am a big believer in proper dyno tuning. For the money of an auto-tune setup (you will have to add O2s) ya can have a proper dyno tune. The key isn't the tuner, it is finding the best guy to tune your bike. Get the tuner he likes. But since you don't want that option, just call fuelmoto and have them send ya a canned map with a power-commander. It may make you happy?

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 02-04-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The major difference between the PV, TTS, and SEPST is the PV and TTS can change speedo for gearing changes. The PV is a monitor you can mount on the handle bars if you like and is an excellent trouble shooting tool. You said you wanted to be able to do it your self then I would go with the PV. You can learn a lot from monitoring performance parameters and doing autotune and data logging without hooking to a laptop. You can carry 6 maps on the PV and change when you like. If you are just going to dyno and not change anything then go with whatever your tuner likes. If you like changing stuff like cams and exhaust and heads, you can have your map already loaded into the bike and ready to go after you finish. Sure takes some of the worry out of doing it your self. You can copy and paste between the major three as long as you use the same strategy. TTS has a good explanation of the strategies. They also have some good maps. The PV has good maps also and SEPST has some as long as you stick to the Screaming Eagle aftermarket parts. There is lots of data out there and you can download the software for all the major tuners and play with it some while learning the ins and outs. They all have good manuals and canned maps. All it takes is lots of time and studying. The autotune is not all you need to know to get it right.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would recommend the Tmax for an 03 bike. You will need to have some bungs welded in the pipes. TTS can go backwards to like an 05 with bungs, but not 03. Pv cannot use stock O2s prior to 06 Dynas. You could possibly use the the AT200 kit etc with the PV... but there will NOT be much in the way of starting cals. My thought is a Tmax is easy to set up and use. It is a simpler tuning device, which matches the power of the ECU on the bike. Swapping to a TMax will not be giving up a cool feature like the newer ECUs have. 07 and up bikes, I recommend flash tuners, but pre O2 bikes? TMax works good since the stock ECU is kind of crappy anyways.

For some of you.... ECUs have went thru a few revisions over time. NOTHING can allow an 03 to have stock type O2 sensors. WIde bands or nothing. AT least with a Tmax, a person can tune using the widebands that come with it and everything matches up for these older cable operated bikes.

After 08 (on touring), I NEVER would recommend a Tmax. Those bikes have the newer ECU with way more power, uses MAP sensors, has ION sensing, and... DBW. Flash tuners all the way after 08!!!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 02-05-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are looking for something simple for air cleaner and pipe changes, or even a cam change, you can also go with a Vance and Hines FuelPac. I have had excellent results with mine without lots of cost or constant re-mapping or whatever.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in the same boat. Just put a 117 in my 03 and now need to get it tuned. I thinkin i am going to use the Hd Sert. Seeing as i already have it and most of the time the tuners seem to recommend it. Just need to find a good tuner in the area. I will prolly be taking my bike to Big Boyz in Maine for one of Beans tunes.

I did have a PCIII, fuel pak and power visoin on my 08 night train. Power vision was the best by far.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
I would recommend the Tmax for an 03 bike. You will need to have some bungs welded in the pipes. TTS can go backwards to like an 05 with bungs, but not 03. Pv cannot use stock O2s prior to 06 Dynas. You could possibly use the the AT200 kit etc with the PV... but there will NOT be much in the way of starting cals. My thought is a Tmax is easy to set up and use. It is a simpler tuning device, which matches the power of the ECU on the bike. Swapping to a TMax will not be giving up a cool feature like the newer ECUs have. 07 and up bikes, I recommend flash tuners, but pre O2 bikes? TMax works good since the stock ECU is kind of crappy anyways.

For some of you.... ECUs have went thru a few revisions over time. NOTHING can allow an 03 to have stock type O2 sensors. WIde bands or nothing. AT least with a Tmax, a person can tune using the widebands that come with it and everything matches up for these older cable operated bikes.

After 08 (on touring), I NEVER would recommend a Tmax. Those bikes have the newer ECU with way more power, uses MAP sensors, has ION sensing, and... DBW. Flash tuners all the way after 08!!!
Anyone who's read my posts knows that I have a very low opinion of the Thundermax, but this application is one that is tailor-made for it.

The only way to use factory O2 sensors on a pre-'05 bike is to change the ECM out (and the TSSM too, I believe).

Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the lack of O2's as you can tune it fine without the O2's. Not saying the ecm on the pre 05's are real fast, but should do ok. I usually turn my O2's off when making changes and get it the way I want it and then turn them back on. Can't tell whole lot of difference. Ran a couple of years with PC5 and no O2's and it worked fine. Mileage good as with out and had increase performance. If you had to have O2's then about the only ways is the Thunder Max or swap out the ecm and add the O2's. The Autotune wideband for the PV only works while in tune mode.

Quick Reply: Advice on tuners