Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full-Face Helmet??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full-Face Helmet??

Been thinking about getting a full-face helmet. More for the colder rides. I don't want one of the modular or lift-up faces. Was over at one of the cycle shops checking out the selection. $100 up to $600. The young man stated that some of the big differences between the models are how well they keep your head cool (air circulation) and how quiet the helmet is inside. I have never ridden with a full-face before. He also stated that a lower end model full-full might give me more noise than I'm used to with my half-shell? That surprised me!

Anyway, any advice from experienced full-face riders would be appreciated. Is it advisable to spend hundreds of $$ for the better models? (SHOEI, ARAI)...

Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser
Default RE: Full-Face Helmet??

These guys have reviews on almost every helmet. At least it seems that way. I'm starting to think that helmets are like shotguns and fishing poles. One should have a good assortment.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/

Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

OK, first off I am a firefighter and have been for a LONG time - so going into a burning building in Aug wearing full turnout gear and a SCBA on - normal for me....

I have and like my Full face - 11 years on my HD.. I started out with a Arai and will be buying a Shoei X-11 in a few weeks... I have found some of the best prices at http://www.helmetshop.com/ call and talk to Mike... Super prices on all helmets... I also have a guy at Wilzgarage - sells on Ebay and is going to carry the Shoei in a few weeks.. I have talked to him when shopping for my Arai and now on the Shoei - Really good prices also... for his email, pm me...

I have alway wondered why a person would spend over 20K on a bike then try and get a "cheap" cover for HIS head??? If you are going to wear a helmet - get the best you can.. its your head

Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Fit is everything... there are some people with Shoei faces, and some with Arai.

you really need to try them on and find wha fits your facial shape.

I personally have Shoei full faced helmets. I think there are 4 of them in the garage now. I get zero noise on the EG when I wear it, and usually ride with the shield up because it gets a tad hot. In the winter I need to keep it open a crack to keep from fogging.

90% of the time I am in full face regardless of what I am riding, on occassion I will go into a skid lid if I am in Massachusetts, and I will sometimes go without a helmet in NH on rare occasions.

Some of the higher end Shoeis have replaceable cheek pads that you can put different sizes in to make the helmet fit the way you like it.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Arai or Shoei..kinda pricey but ventilation, weight and protection are excellent.
later

Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Neggy ZRXOA 5248

Fit is everything... there are some people with Shoei faces, and some with Arai. [quote]

that is Very True - find a place that KNOWS how to fit - if their prices are High, check on line.... The Helmet shop is over $100 lower than the best place in town - have to buy one for the wife so guess where I am shopping...

Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 PM
zadmat
Intermediate

Iwould agree with the Shoei and Arai. I actually had an accident with a Shoei and had excellent results. The Modular ones I would be a little hesitant, because if you ever had an impact i would think it would cause the whole face shield to pop up. I don't know this but have wondered about it. Of course maybe still better than a half helmet. My wife and i are actually looking into full face helmets and not sure what to do and I will be checking out the sites Harley0711 listed because i was always happy with the Shoei. I have half helmets now and in Vermont it gets cold and safety wise it makes more sense to go with full face

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been shopping for a full face for a few weeks now and have settled on a Shoei RF 1000. I've been keeping track of prices and found there are one or two places on Ebay that carry the helmet I'm looking for for $325...regular MSRP is abuot $479.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 PM
US Rider
Cruiser

I'm on my 3rd full face helmet. I normally use a half helmet around town and a full face when touring. Last yearjust before a 2 week rideI tried on my Harley modular, it was too loose. Bought a Nolan, great helmet, lots of features. The second day of our ride I had to buy another helmet, the Nolan made my cheek bones ache after a few hours of riding, I couldn't take any more. I bought a Shoei (non modular) with the removeable pads, and a second smaller set of pads just in case. It fit my face perfectly,I had no more problems, and it was much quieter than the modulars.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought one of the NOLAN flip up helmets about a month ago and really like it - >>>HERE'S<<< what it looks like - the black cherry color is almost a perfect HD match for my RK. I also own a half helmet and when it gets too hot - that will probably be the one I ride with although I realize the trade-offs. I have used full face helmets from HJC, Arai, and now Nolan. The Nolan is comfortable and very quiet, even though it's a flip up. I particularly like the flip up sun shield which actually works quite well - plus, if I want to add Blue Tooth to talk to the wife, it can be added. Sizing for the Nolan is the same as Arai - XL in both cases for me.

Quick Reply: Full-Face Helmet??