Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full-Face Helmet??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Full-Face Helmet??

Isn't it like riding with a deprivation box on your head? Ya know "depriving" you of knowledge of your surroundings

Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cwilks

Isn't it like riding with a deprivation box on your head? Ya know "depriving" you of knowledge of your surroundings
I know it is for me. I absolutly can not wear a full face helmet.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

harley0711, thanks for the info, I'll check them out. I like the X-11 but don't like wearing a full face in the warm weather. The platinum 3/4 does look nice.

ORIGINAL: harley0711

Petemac - in looking at the Shoei on the web site, I see three for the visor and one on each side - in looking at the after market shields on the Helmetshop - looks like both the three and five would work - most likley the 5 would be more secure... Thats a nice looking helmet...

Old 03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
deaded
Novice

I wore nothing but full-face helmets for 15+ years, used and newones byNava, Bell, and Arai. I settled on Shoei for fit and quality and got the function along with it. Then I got the 2000 Road King and was unexplainably claustrophobic. I absolutely hated being in the full-face and ended up buying the RJ Air open-face. I still used the full-face on my other bikes with no problem at all. Nearest I can determine is that for the RKseating positionthe chin bar keeps me from seeing the speedometer and idiot lights unless I tilt my head down, which kills my field of view. I don't think I would have the same problem on a model withfairing mounted dials & lights.

I use an X-11 full-face. It has the best venting and comfort of any full-face I've ever used and is by far the lightest. It doesn't try to lift or pull my head off at speed and I can turn my head without strainingneck muscles.I swapped out cheek pads at the store where I bought itfor a $0 adjustment. I love having a liner I can remove for cleaning. It's pretty noisy compared to my old RF-700 because of the venting but I use earplugs for anything but short in-town trips.

I use the RJ Air open-face, an older model that has been replaced by the Platinum-R. It's very comfortable and extremely quiet - much like wearing hearing protection earmuffs - when behind the windshield. I only use earplugs when expecting to spend several hoursin the saddle. Itdoes push my head around a bunch when I'm not behind a windshield. More than oneairborne bug has wedged itself between the padding and my face.Venting is an afterthought and almost useless behind the windshield. It did help on a run through 115° weather tosoak the padding with cold waterbefore putting it on.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 AM
UmpOne
Advanced

Some great advice.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't beat a Full Face for cold, wet weatherand long distance riding. I'm partial to flip-up style and use a NOLAN 100 Plus. Mine is 5 years old and with the soon to arrive FLHTCU, I plan on replacing the one I have now with a new BLACK (to match the FLH) one in the fall. Spring and summer has me with a half or 3/4 style.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BigFoot: Shoei makes the RF-1000 in 3X. I went from a too-tight HJC 2X to the new Shoei about two weeks ago. Love the helmet. I did have to change the cheek pads to get the right fit around my face. Ventilation system works like it should. Give one a try.

Cycle Gear just came out with a new mailorder catalog with a 20% discount coupon for first buy. I used it and got my solid color helmet for just over $300 out the door. ............... BC

Old 03-22-2007, 11:42 AM
lsc86
Tourer

There is a superb article on helmet safety ratings in the June 2005 Motorcyclist magazine that truly had some surprising results from the latest state of the art testing on a virtual plethora of helmets from $79-650. I would consider it must read information.

The thing to remember is that the helmet's job is to absorb the impact and keep the impact energy away from your skull and in the end, it was the least expensive helmets that absorbed more energy and did a much much better job protecting your precious melon.

As a long long time street bike rider and avid believer in high quality helmets, these extensive test results were quite surprising indeed. I've got quite the investment in high end Arai helmets and still believe you do get some extras in terms of features, quality, and function with high end helmets. However, it is quite clear that you do not get more safety by spending big coin.

For my head shape, Arai and HJC fit the best. Recently picked up an Iicon full face and it has been awesome in terms of fit, finish, lightness, and value. So don't be afraid of sacrificing safety for a good deal anymore. If I wear a helmet, figure might as well be a full face that actually does something to really protect you.

Take the time and read the Motorcyclist article, all testing conducted by the HURT foundation, they are as unbiased as it gets in the safety world. In todays helmet market with such advanced developments in construction material even the Snell rated helmets of 7-8 years ago are no better in protecting your melon than some of the basic DOT only helmets found on the market today.

Find a helmet that fits you well, looks cool, and has a good price and you'll be just fine, regardless if it has Snell and DOT or just DOT. After one good crash or 5 years, you need to replace them anyway......

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

Old 03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
jweakley
Intermediate

I am considering an HJC Symax, full-face helmet. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with this helmet? From the comments on this thread, it seems the Shoei is the most popular choice.

JW

Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just ordered the Shoei RJ Platinum-R from helmetcity.com. Good price and free two day delivery. Can't wait to try it out!

Quick Reply: Full-Face Helmet??